• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Well, I made it through the year from hell!

it's still early on New Years' Day, but I'm cooking my favourite pork ribs proper Chinese style, a process that takes all day. Will have for dinner tonight. The ribs were chopped into bite-sized pieces by the market vendor.

ribs.thumb.jpg.a6039dfebcca486167b5fdac4d822c35.jpg

Step one is to cover the ribs with cold water and bring to the boil. As soon as the water boils, drain it off through a colander. Drain the ribs and wash the pan. This cleans the ribs and gets rid of any scum, adhering impurities etc. I then re-cover with cold water, bring back to the boil and simmer for 45 minutes.

scum.thumb.jpg.6b2c41d4d28e586bcc466199dbc9b9bb.jpg

Scum

Note that no  seaoning is added yet. After 45 minutes,  drain and let cool.

to be continued

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

15 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

...my favourite pork ribs proper Chinese style a process that takes all day.

Step one is to cover the ribs with cold water and bring to the boil. As soon as the water boils, drain it off through a colander. This cleans the ribs and gets rid of any adhering impurities. I then re-cover with cold water, bring back to the boil and simmer for 45 minutes.

Smiling, as I recognize this as my mother's pork rib procedure.    This, some 75 years ago.   

• Like 4

eGullet member #80.

34 minutes ago, Franci said:

Happy New Year, guys! We just opened the offella from Verona. I wish I could share a slice with you all 😊

@Franci I wish you could do.  That cake looks amazingly good. So light.  Need to find a recipe.

Happy New Year!!!!

Our New Year's Eve dinner.

181177381_LobsterNewburgDecember31st2020.thumb.jpg.cbfeed8023291fa11dc27ab3651d3832.jpg

Homemade Puff Pastry and Lobster Newburg.
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 7

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

@KennethTyour meal looks fantastic.  The wine selection isn’t too shabby either.  I hope you enjoyed it.  Happy new year

Thanks. To be honest, we just Coravined a glass and put the rest back in the wine fridge. We tried it about a year ago and it was much more closed. I think it's starting to come into its own now but I can't wait to try it again on a few more years!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

@Franci I wish you could do.  That cake looks amazingly good. So light.  Need to find a recipe.

Happy New Year!!!!

Our New Year's Eve dinner.

181177381_LobsterNewburgDecember31st2020.thumb.jpg.cbfeed8023291fa11dc27ab3651d3832.jpg

Homemade Puff Pastry and Lobster Newburg.

This brings back memories.  I don't celebrate holidays but back when my kids were little there was no better way to welcome in the year than Stouffer's Lobster Newberg and Pepperidge Farm puff pastry.  Often as not with broccoli (since it was years before broccolini was invented.)  Plus it took no work.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

26 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This brings back memories.  I don't celebrate holidays but back when my kids were little there was no better way to welcome in the year than Stouffer's Lobster Newberg and Pepperidge Farm puff pastry.  Often as not with broccoli (since it was years before broccolini was invented.)  Plus it took no work.

Your kids ate broccoli? Happy New Year, night owl.

1 minute ago, Katie Meadow said:

Mushrooms and parsley were a different matter.  Actually my younger son is a picky eater, as I've mentioned many times before.  My older has a friend from China and enjoyed many non-western delicacies at his mother's table.  The friend dined here.  He described his mother's cuisine as "burnt wok food".

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Having simmered my pork ribs for 45 minutes and letting them cool

20210101_114254.thumb.jpg.ba2975fe8b6f923a22f5a8ed881e10a5.jpg

I marinated them in garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wine and 豆瓣酱 - dòu bàn jiàng - broad bean and chilli paste. Normally, I'd do this overnight or longer, but I need to eat today! They might get three or four hours instead.

20210101_160912.thumb.jpg.4c332258c3800cafa4f2b3361683819a.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

When my boy was around a year old we had to make sure he was strapped into his stroller before we entered the supermarket, otherwise he'd bolt for the broccoli, grab a handful, and start chewing. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Stouffers made Lobster Newburg?

Air fried chicken breast, with sauteed mushrooms, watermelon radish, and black olives, and quick-pickled lemons, in pan sauce over cavatappi

20201231_192808.jpg

Edited by Dante (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Spent some time yesterday prepping for snacks last night; snacks enjoyed while watching an internet concert...

61727902_Blinilatkes12-31.thumb.jpeg.11301eedd02bf2bf038c5893b2254422.jpeg

Blini (wheat flour and buckwheat, risen with baking powder, baking soda, and whipped egg white). And potato latkes made using one Russet potato weighing about 350 grams.

1107634761_Caviarassortment12-31.thumb.jpeg.6c02743b375e2ae6f31e26400d6f62ba.jpeg

Nothing fancy here, 3 roes, and 1 sturgeon caviar. 2 of the roes I would certainly enjoy again (and do); salmon and trout atop. The bottom left is Bowfin roe, which fortunately only cost $10, because it was, to say the least, disappointing. On the bottom right, from Regalis, one of their caviars.  Enjoyed with crème fraîche and champagne.

Still hungry when the show ended, I whipped up some pasta...

IMG_3212.thumb.jpeg.704b45342051b4210e943641680695b8.jpeg

Casarecce all'Amatriciana.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Lamb shanks and white beans in instant pot.  Took meat off the bone to serve.  

lambshankstew.jpg

Looks so comforting. Lamb shanks are my favorite meat cut (well pork butt wiggles in line too). I always save the bones to make a simple broth/stock. Just enough for a bowl or two of soup They still yield flavor and gelatin even after a long cook. A cleaver whack can expose more goodness.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

our party of 2 started with a mai tai for me and a manhattan for husband- FYI, my foam was created with aquafaba

then grilled chicken last night with pan seared cauliflower with garlic parsley and parm.

A delicious rioja to drink

IMG_3401.JPG

IMG_3402.JPG

IMG_3397.jpg

IMG_3403.JPG

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, scamhi said:

our party of 2 started with a mai tai for me and a manhattan for husband- FYI, my foam was created with aquafaba

then grilled chicken last night with pan seared cauliflower with garlic parsley and parm.

IMG_3401.JPG

IMG_3402.JPG

IMG_3397.jpg

IMG_3403.JPG

Wow, that Ruin a must have been especial! Love old Rioja!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scamhi said:

IMG_3401.JPG

IMG_3402.JPG

IMG_3397.jpg

IMG_3403.JPG

Nice memory on Rioja I think we first bought a bottle in late 1970s. Became our go to until he got into  Chilean wines.

• Like 1

Since Charlie is getting tired of blackeyed peas, I made a chip dip with them and he liked that. He ate almost half of that. I cooked navy beans with the ham hocks and collard greens instead.  Even though we have this same meal every New Years Day and only then, we are both getting tired of it.  I think next year I will make Hoppin' John instead.  Charlie likes rice and beans so maybe he will like it too.  One year Cassie wanted to have a Mexican New Years dinner and we didn't have the other meal at all and the next day I slipped on some ice and broke every  bone in my ankle so I am loathe to skip all those ingredients again.  

20210101_163002.jpg

20210101_163331.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2