• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

I don’t mean to butt in and I hope @Dejah answers you. But speaking as a Canadian I have to say that I have never seen anything other than beef/calves liver or chicken livers for sale in our supermarkets. 

That was my understanding. Just checking.

My mother never bought anything but lamb's liver (calves' liver was far too expensive) when I was a kid - and she made liver and onions regularly.

I was very surprised when I moved to China and ate lunch one day in a small three table restaurant near work. I found 'liver and onions' on their menu. Of course, I ordered it. It was absolutely delicious and only slightly different from my mother's despite the Chinese influences. I asked and found it was pig's liver.

Now I regularly and happily eat pig's liver - it and chicken being the only ones I can get. No cows or sheep round these parts. Oh. I do get anonymous fish livers, too.

This picture was taken years ago in that very restaurant on a return visit (one of many - it became my work canteen!) 

1530201551_liverandonions.thumb.jpg.7b5173c6a223318b90579428fd8e06c1.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I don’t mean to butt in and I hope @Dejah answers you. But speaking as a Canadian I have to say that I have never seen anything other than beef/calves liver or chicken livers for sale in our supermarkets. 

That was my understanding. Just checking.

My mother never bought anything but lamb's liver (calves' liver was far too expensive) when I was a kid - and she made liver and onions regularly.

I was very surprised when I moved to China and ate lunch one day in a small three table restaurant near work. I found 'liver and onions' on their menu. Of course, I ordered it. It was absolutely delicious and only slightly different from my mother's despite the Chinese influences. I asked and found it was pig's liver.

Now I regularly and happily eat pig's liver - it and chicken being the only ones I can get. No cows or sheep round these parts.

This picture was taken years ago in that very restaurant on a return visit (one of many - it became my work canteen!) 

1530201551_liverandonions.thumb.jpg.7b5173c6a223318b90579428fd8e06c1.jpg