• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

3 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

@Norm Matthews our butcher does his own harvest&smoke in-house.  sometimes a bit spotty as to size, when he's puts out a good batch I buy a couple and freeze them.

this is for tonight:

IMG_1703.thumb.JPG.87d392522b0357dc0e531b2fedbd2329.JPG

That sounds nice.  When I first moved back to Kansas City, there were two grocery stores that carried meaty ham hocks but in the last several years, they carry something they call pork hocks.  They might have come from a pig but they were not ham and they were all bone, skin and gristle.  Maybe they have one bite of meat. The guys behind the meat counter pointed to them when I asked if they had ham hocks.  They said what they had were the same thing.  I said if you ordered a ham sandwich and they bring you a pork sandwich, I think you would be able to tell the difference. Lately one of the stores have big meaty ham shanks but these were tough and chewy and had some gristle. They tasted like country ham cured ( instead of "city" hams) which also made them really salty.

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

2 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

@Norm Matthews our butcher does his own harvest&smoke in-house.  sometimes a bit spotty as to size, when he's puts out a good batch I buy a couple and freeze them.

this is for tonight:

IMG_1703.thumb.JPG.87d392522b0357dc0e531b2fedbd2329.JPG

When I first moved back to Kansas City, there were two grocery stores that carried meaty ham hocks but in the last several years, they carry something they call pork hocks.  They might have come from a pig but they were not ham and they were all bone, skin and gristle.  Maybe they have one bite of meat. The guys behind the meat counter pointed to them when I asked if they had ham hocks.  They said what they had were the same thing.  I said if you ordered a ham sandwich and they bring you a pork sandwich, I think you would be able to tell the difference. Lately one of the stores have big meaty ham shanks but these were tough and chewy and had some gristle. They tasted like country ham cured ( instead of "city" hams) which also made them really salty.