• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

34 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I think it depends on your upbringing with that specific product. For some German sausages (especially aged Mettwurst), we remove the (sheep or cattle gut) casing; here for the Catalan varieties the thin pork gut casing doesn’t really matter in terms of texture.
In terms of taste and mouthfeel, I’d consider the edible mold as part of the package (just as a tiiiiny bit of oxidized fat actually rounds off the taste of good iberico ham).

But I fully get that it is a matter of cultural background, exposure and most importantly individual taste …

Agreed, and true of the different casings; I often leave the thinner casings on for me.

And rarely remove too much fat from various hams, though sometimes I'll take some of the fat off prosciutto and use it as a sauté vehicle!

weinoo

weinoo

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

I think it depends on your upbringing with that specific product. For some German sausages (especially aged Mettwurst), we remove the (sheep or cattle gut) casing; here for the Catalan varieties the thin pork gut casing doesn’t really matter in terms of texture.
In terms of taste and mouthfeel, I’d consider the edible mold as part of the package (just as a tiiiiny bit of oxidized fat actually rounds off the taste of good iberico ham).

But I fully get that it is a matter of cultural background, exposure and most importantly individual taste …

Agreed, and true of the different of casings; I often leave the thinner casings on for me.

And rarely remove too much fat from various hams, though sometimes I'll take some of the fat off prosciutto and use it as a sauté vehicle!