• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

41 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I can't speak to Costso's possible use of dairy cattle, but FWIW, both in Europe (started in Spain with retired farm oxen) and from premium beef suppliers, male dairy breeds are chosen and raised for their superior beef.   See Flannery Beef.

I have no idea how this compares to or is even similar to Costco prime beef.

The point someone was making about grading beef (if I understood it) was that there are a lot of different kinds of cattle available now and there was basically only one when the USDA grading system was established and the result today is a lot of  all different kinds of beef being graded by only one standard.  For instance, the grade of the whole cow  is determined by the amount of fat in some particular rib (3rd or 4th?)in the cow

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

29 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I can't speak to Costso's possible use of dairy cattle, but FWIW, both in Europe (started in Spain with retired farm oxen) and from premium beef suppliers, male dairy breeds are chosen and raised for their superior beef.   See Flannery Beef.

I have no idea how this compares to or is even similar to Costco prime beef.

The point someone was making about grading beef (if I understood it) was that there are a lot of different kinds of cattle available now than there were when the USDA grading system was established and the result today is a lot of  all different kinds of beef being graded by only one standard.  For instance, the grade of the whole cow  is determined by the amount of fat in some particular rib (3rd or 4th?)in the cow