• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

2 hours ago, heidih said:

I don't give onions enough play like your salad. The dressing is familiar to me. Must try. Also those look like cashews on the noodles mimicing the shrimp shape. Sister in her closet cleaning frenzy unearthed  couple tins of cashews. Kinda stale so I tried roasting and wow quite enjoyable,. Deeper roast than what usually sold here as roasted. 

This salad is quite intense, it's made to be eaten with the eggs and rice, otherwise it's very aggressive with the onion-chili-fish sauce combo.

We love onions, and raw onions are quite popular in the middle east.

One of my favorite quick preps is raw onion marinated in leftover olive brine (one made with green bitter olives, whole lemon slices, olive oil, bay, garlic and some colve. Not overly salty). It's eaten as a side to hummus or eggs.

Another is onions finely sliced and mixed with sumac and olive oil. A classic with grilled meats, especially kebabs, and also in a pita, with falafel, or a sort of sabich with eggplants and eggs.

I like finishing dishes with some nuts, and cashews are a good neutral yet flavorful option.

We always have a box of homemade mix in the fridge - cashews, almonds and peanuts are the base. Sometimes we add pecans, walnuts or pistachios; and more rarely hazelnuts or pepitas.

shain

shain

2 hours ago, heidih said:

I don't give onions enough play like your salad. The dressing is familiar to me. Must try. Also those look like cashews on the noodles mimicing the shrimp shape. Sister in her closet cleaning frenzy unearthed  couple tins of cashews. Kinda stale so I tried roasting and wow quite enjoyable,. Deeper roast than what usually sold here as roasted. 

This salad is quite intense, it's made to be eaten with the eggs and rice, otherwise it's very aggressive with the onion-chili-fish sauce combo.

We love onions, and raw onions are quite popular in the middle east.

One of my favorite quick preps is raw onion marinated in leftover olive brine (one made with green bitter olives, whole lemon slices, olive oil, bay, garlic and some colve. Not overly salty). It's eaten as a side to hummus or eggs.

Another is onions finely sliced and mixed with sumac and olive oil. A classic with grilled meats, especially kebabs, and also in a pita, with falafel, or a sort of sabich with eggplants and eggs.

Cashews are one of my favorite snacking nuts. I like finishing dishes with some nuts, and cashews are a good neutral yet flavorful option.

We always have a box of homemade mix in the fridge - cashews, almonds and peanuts are the base, sometimes we add pecans, walnuts or pistachios; and more rarely hazelnuts or pepitas.