• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 hours ago, KennethT said:

I've never had a dried morel - how would you compare it to the fresh?

While the fresh are undoubtedly better, the dried are perfectly acceptable and reconstitute well. I would use the two differently, though.

Fresh morels I usually simply fry in butter and serve as a dish in their own right. The dried I tend to use with other ingredients (sometimes including other mushroooms) in stir fries, etc.

Of course, I keep the soaking liquid for other uses.

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 hours ago, KennethT said:

I've never had a dried morel - how would you compare it to the fresh?

While the fresh are undoubtedly better, the dried are perfectly acceptable and reconstitute well.I would use the two differently, though.

Fresh morels I usually simply fry in butter and serve as a dish in their own right. The dried I tend to use with other ingredients (sometimes including other mushroooms) in stir fries, etc.

Of course, I keep the soaking liquid for other uses.