• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but when doing the SV fried chicken, do you find the batter comes right off when you bite into it?  If not, what's your secret to getting it to stick?

No, it doesn't slide off at all.  I take the SV'd chicken out of the bag and place in a bowl of buttermilk mixed with an egg--if I'm low on eggs, I'll skip the egg.   Then I dump some AP flour in a large ziplock along with Lawry's salt and a good amount of black pepper.  Mix that up.  Take chicken pieces out of buttermilk, drop in the bag.  Zip it up.  Shake.  Heat up the shallow oil.  Fry.

Shelby

Shelby

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but when doing the SV fried chicken, do you find the batter comes right off when you bite into it?  If not, what's your secret to getting it to stick?

No, it doesn't slide off at all.  I take the SV'd chicken out of the bag and place in a bowl of buttermilk mixed with an egg--if I'm low on eggs, I'll skip the egg.   Then I dump some AP flour in a large ziplock along with Lawry's salt and a good amount of black pepper.  Mix that up.  Take chicken pieces out of buttermilk, drop in the bag.  Zip it up.  Shake.  Heat up the shallow oil.  Fry.