• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

My lazy streak continues: homemade burger, broiled to medium rare, on (commercial) brioche bun, cheese, bacon & the works. Little one requested fried onions, so they were in there as well …

D15B38F4-0316-4958-9C08-AE5546D091EF.thumb.jpeg.dc426c10c24a38729e40222bcef6edb2.jpeg

As a curious fact: the cut you know as shortrib is not very popular in Germany (“Querrippe”). So, whenever a butcher offers “Suppenfleisch” (lit. “meat for making soup”), he typically has short rib in the mix. I usually go then, ask for freshly ground beef and ask if he can use short rib. In 90% of the cases I get what I ask for. This makes for a flavorful and juicy burger for a very reasonable price.

Curious fact #2: burger (as well as pizza) for some reason are enjoyed most in this household if served on IKEA plastic plates for kids. It just tastes better that way …

Duvel

Duvel

My lazy streak continues: homemade burger, broiled to medium rare, on (commercial) brioche bun, cheese, bacon & the works. Little one requested fried onions, so there were in there as well …

D15B38F4-0316-4958-9C08-AE5546D091EF.thumb.jpeg.dc426c10c24a38729e40222bcef6edb2.jpeg

As a curious fact: the cut you know as shortrib is not very popular in Germany (“Querrippe”). So, whenever a butcher offers “Suppenfleisch” (lit. “meat for making soup”), he typically has short rib in the mix. I usually go then, ask for freshly ground beef and ask if he can use short rib. In 90% of the cases I get what I ask for. This makes for a flavorful and juicy burger for a very reasonable price.

Curious fact #2: burger (as well as pizza) for some reason are enjoyed most in this household if served on IKEA plastic plates for kids. It just tastes better that way …

Duvel

Duvel

My lazy streak continues: homemade burger, broiled to medium rare, on (commercial) brioche bun, cheese, bacon & the works. Little one requested fried onions, so there were in there as well …

As a curious fact: the cut you know as shortrib is not very popular in Germany (“Querrippe”). So, whenever a butcher offers “Suppenfleisch” (lit. “meat for making soup”), he usually has short rib in the mix. I usually go then, ask for freshly ground beef and ask if he can use short rib. In 90% of the cases I get what I ask for. This makes for a flavorful and juicy burger for a very reasonable price.

Duvel

Duvel

As a curious fact: the cut you know as shortrib is not very popular in Germany (“Querrippe”). So, whenever a butcher offers “Suppenfleisch” (lit. “meat for making soup”), he usually has short rib in the mix. I usually go then, ask for freshly ground beef and ask if he can use short rib. In 90% of the cases I get what I ask for. This makes for a flavorful and juicy burger for a very reasonable price.