• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I have mentioned Strawberry Hill Bakery before but it was a few years ago.  It is named after the neighborhood in Kansas City where I grew up and they specialize in an ethnic European nut bread made with a rich yeast dough spread all over with a sweet walnut paste and then rolled up and baked.  The walnut is the original flavor but they now make several flavors.  Something new-I think- is a coffee cake that I had for dessert today. It has a crumbly crust, pound cake on top of that, then some cheese cake and topped with a brown sugar crunchy crust. It will be hard to not go back for seconds and thirds. The nut bread which is also pictured below is called Povitica.

20210624_125028.jpg

20210624_125115.jpg

shopping.jpeg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I have mentioned Strawberry Hill Bakery before but it was a few years ago.  It is named after the neighborhood in Kansas City where I grew up and they specialize in an ethnic European nut bread made with a rich yeast dough spread all over with a sweet walnut paste and then rolled up and baked.  The walnut is the original flavor but they now make several flavors.  Something new-I think- is a coffee cake that I had for dessert today. It has a crumbly crust, pound cake on top of that, then some cheese cake and topped with a brown sugar crunchy crust. It will be hard to not go back for seconds and thirds. The nut bread is pictured below is called Povitica.

20210624_125028.jpg

20210624_125115.jpg

shopping.jpeg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I have mentioned Strawberry Hill Bakery before but it was a few years ago.  It is named after the neighborhood in Kansas City where I grew up and they specialize in an ethnic European nut bread made with a rich yeast dough spread all over with a sweet walnut paste and then rolled up and baked.  The walnut is the original flavor but they now make several other flavors.  Something new-I think- is a coffee cake that I had for dessert today. It has a crumbly crust, pound cake on top of that, then some cheese cake and topped with a brown sugar crunchy crust. It will be hard to not go back for seconds and thirds. The nut bread is pictured below is called Povitica.

20210624_125028.jpg

20210624_125115.jpg

shopping.jpeg