• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

On 6/20/2021 at 10:12 AM, KennethT said:

We used to sit at the sushi bar in front of Yasuda-san and he would always say that, to him, the rice is the most important part of the sushi.  He talked about when he was in Japan, he spent years as an apprentice - just making rice. 

This is what I've always learned - that they spend years making the rice! Makes sense, considering it's part of every bite of sushi, whether there's fish, or veg, or whatever.

IMG_4365.thumb.jpeg.811bffe6159c99c4fd88d91827c5cae4.jpeg

I wasn't even drunk yet, though the pictures are a tad cockeyed.  Macaroni salad expertly plated with fixins' for pseudacos...

IMG_4367.thumb.jpeg.cd7adaa99040bd9f39dc9b2e21c4e21f.jpeg

Pork and beans to go in the pseudacos (with the tomato, avo, and cilantro). And some excellent corn off the cob, sautéed with shallots and red pepper, lots of dill, parsley and chives, too.

weinoo

weinoo

On 6/20/2021 at 10:12 AM, KennethT said:

We used to sit at the sushi bar in front of Yasuda-san and he would always say that, to him, the rice is the most important part of the sushi.  He talked about when he was in Japan, he spent years as an apprentice - just making rice. 

This is what I've always learned - that they spend years making the rice! Makers sense, considering it's part of every bite of sushi, whether there's fish, or veg, or whatever.

IMG_4365.thumb.jpeg.811bffe6159c99c4fd88d91827c5cae4.jpeg

I wasn't even drunk yet, though the pictures are a tad cockeyed.  Macaroni salad expertly plated with fixins' for pseudacos...

IMG_4367.thumb.jpeg.cd7adaa99040bd9f39dc9b2e21c4e21f.jpeg

Pork and beans to go in the pseudacos (with the tomato, avo, and cilantro). And some excellent corn off the cob, sautéed with shallots and red pepper, lots of dill, parsley and chives, too.

IMG_4358.jpeg