• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

21 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Are lemons widely available in your area?

Lemons are everywhere. They grow here.

I have the opposite problem. If I ask for limes, lemons turn up! I've only found real limes here once, several  years ago.

The Chinese for lime is 青柠檬 (qīng níng méng), which translates literally as 'green lemon'. Unfortunately, we do get green-skinned lemons here. They are ripe, but the skin remains green. So, that is what turns up when I ask for lime.

When I lived in Hunan 23 years ago, I never saw lemons. Not sure about now. I shall ask.

1626272452_GreenLemons.thumb.jpg.f84020951bc64d021997c6f73de21cdb.jpg

Green lemons.

liuzhou

liuzhou

9 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Are lemons widely available in your area?

Lemons are everywhere. I have the opposite problem. If I ask for limes, lemons turn up! I've only found real limes here once, several  years ago.

The Chinese for lime is 青柠檬 (qīng níng méng), which translates literally as 'green lemon'. Unfortunately, we do get green-skinned lemons here. They are ripe, but the skin remains green. So, that is what turns up when I ask for lime.

When I lived in Hunan 23 years ago, I never saw lemons. Not sure about now. I shall ask.

1626272452_GreenLemons.thumb.jpg.f84020951bc64d021997c6f73de21cdb.jpg

Green lemons.