• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Yeah...I'm not saying it wasn't fresh...but maybe uni is something that needs to be like scooped from the water and on to your plate lol.  It was ok.  It was a big portion, but it was also dang expensive.  Let's just say I didn't love it enough to spend that much again.

Don’t feel bad: first of all it is an acquired taste and then - it needs to be good quality and fresh. 
I lived almost three years in Japan and had uni on many occasions (in an student/junior academic context) and could get myself to embrace it. A month before leaving I took my girlfriend (now wife) out to a very nice place while visiting Tokyo - and there was a plate of uni. It was amongst the most memorable things I have eaten - and not only because it got scooped out of a live sea urchin while we were watching. It was sublime. I had only one more uni dish that came close, also from a live specimen, also in a upscale place in HK. 
I hunted, I tried, I wanted to like it but ... maybe your palate is just too refined (like mine) to enjoy the ordinary stuff 😜

Duvel

Duvel

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Yeah...I'm not saying it wasn't fresh...but maybe uni is something that needs to be like scooped from the water and on to your plate lol.  It was ok.  It was a big portion, but it was also dang expensive.  Let's just say I didn't love it enough to spend that much again.

Don’t feel bad: first of all it is an aquited taste and then - it needs to be good quality and fresh. 
I lived almost three years in Japan and had uni on many occasions (in an student/junior academic context) and could get myself to embrace it. A month before leaving I took my girlfriend (now wife) out to a very nice place while visiting Tokyo - and there was a plate of uni. It was amongst the most memorable things I have eaten - and not only because it got scooped out of a live sea urchin while we were watching. It was sublime. I had only one more uni dish that came close, also from a live specimen, also in a upscale place in HK. 
I hunted, I tried, I wanted to like it but ... maybe your palate is just too refined (like mine) to enjoy the ordinary stuff 😜