• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

which in a German context refers to beef

Oh, but you haven't seen anything until you see how the Costa Ricans can confuse things. The Spanglish words for steak is bistec. It sounds the same so it makes sense. But now they are using it for everything. Bistec de cerdo (pork). The other day, I saw boneless chicken thighs labeled bistec de pollo (chicken). And if all that wasn't bad enough, they have started to sell prepared roasts in their Deli cases. First it was rosbif and now we see rosbif de cerdo and the other day I saw pressed chicken loaf being sold as rosbif de pollo. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at a country that call Spam Patè Americana.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

which in a German context refers to beef

Oh, but you haven't seen anything until you can see how the Costa Ricans can confuse things. The Spanglish words for steak is bistec. It sounds the same so it makes sense. But now they are using it for everything. Bistec de cerdo (pork). The other day, I saw boneless chicken thighs labeled bistec de pollo (chicken). And if all that wasn't bad enough, they have started to sell prepared roasts in their Deli cases. First it was rosbif and now we see rosbif de cerdo and the other day I saw pressed chicken loaf being sold as rosbif de pollo. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at a country that call Spam Patè Americana.