• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

15 minutes ago, Duvel said:

My mom said my father would like to go for „steak“, which in a German context refers to beef

That is generally true in English, too. Normally steak means beef, unless specified otherwise.

Steak

A thick slice or strip of meat cut for roasting by grilling or frying, sometimes used in a pie or pudding; esp. a piece cut from the hind quarters of the animal; when used without qualification = beef-steak;

OED

I'm not a big steak eater, but that ribeye does look very appealing! As do your sausages.

liuzhou

liuzhou

9 minutes ago, Duvel said:

My mom said my father would like to go for „steak“, which in a German context refers to beef

That is generalloy true in English, too. Normally steak means beef, unless specified otherwise.

Steak

A thick slice or strip of meat cut for roasting by grilling or frying, sometimes used in a pie or pudding; esp. a piece cut from the hind quarters of the animal; when used without qualification = beef-steak;

OED

I'm not a big steak eater, but that ribeye does look very appealing! As do your sausages.