• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

37 minutes ago, heidih said:

@shainchesnuts make so much sense with your dish. I've not had decent fresh ones in forever and the vac packed ones never hit the spot. Another craving for the list :)

I do enjoy vacuumed chestnuts because I love chestnuts in all forms. I'd never buy the ones sold in our markets  , they are never fresh. But a couple of years ago I found a brand of chestnuts of consistent great quality. We enjoy them freshly roasted and salted during winter, served along wine, cheeses fruits and often a caramel dipping sauce. Whatever is leftover goes to the freezer. Haven't bought them in vacuum since (also it's much more economical).

The sauce by the way is intended for gnocchi where it makes a great hearty winter dish. Ravioli is an OK substitute, a bit lighter which I guess better suits the quickly warming weather.

shain

shain

32 minutes ago, heidih said:

@shainchesnuts make so much sense with your dish. I've not had decent fresh ones in forever and the vac packed ones never hit the spot. Another craving for the list :)

I do enjoy vacuumed chestnuts because I love chestnuts in all forms. I'd never buy the ones sold in our markets  , they are never fresh. But a couple of years ago I found a brand of chestnuts of consistent great quality. We enjoy them freshly roasted and salted during winter, served along wine, cheeses fruits and often a caramel dipping sauce. Whatever is leftover goes to the freezer. Haven't bought them in vacuum since (also it's much more economical).