• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

15 hours ago, weinoo said:

Possibly our favorite grape to drink. I'd say lemon, stone, herby, nice and juicy, it makes your mouth water! 

For the "cellar" (okay, I don't have a cellar; for the apartment) I order from Chambers St. Wines. They have a pretty nice selection of rieslings. All natural /organic blah blah stuff.

Do you order from D'artagnan at all?  Their Rohan duck is great for roasting, and they sell the other 3 popular breeds.

The legs I get from Moulards come from Hudson Valley.

Awesome.  I do love Riesling - that washed stone screaming fresh minerality, gentle attack and balance of acid and residual sugar...absolutely love good Riesling, just haven’t had enough to be able to sort through the German system (a note, generally not a fan of Alsatian wines - significantly prefer Mosel Rieslings).

My wife worked for Odessa Piper, when she still owned L’Etoile.  It was her husband Terry Thiese who really got me turned on to Riesling, in no small measure through his book.  His reverence for the purity of expression found in good Riesling rang my bell, and I was off to the races.  (Didn’t hurt he gives his red wine nod to pinot for the same reason.  We can’t be friends if we don’t agree, pinot is Gaia’s sacramental gift to the Great Mother and her consort the Green Horned One.  Ahem, yes, once upon a time, I was a pagan of the NE Shakespearean woods and lakes.  Pinot is holy).

D’Artagnan, yes, agreed, Rohan is fantastic!  Sold me and we’ll be regularly returning to it.  Their Heritage Green Circle Chicken, too, and squab.

One bummer about no longer being in the biz (god help me if I were - I feel I’ve no history, chops, nothing at all; like it never was), is the lack of access to farmers and ranchers.  I worked with Christian Gasset of Au Bon Canard in MN and bought dozens of whole moulards constantly, were swimming in gallons of rendered golden deliciousness we used just about everywhere.  I wrote to him awhile back and his business has exploded since his early years, which is when I worked with him.  No more whole moulards available, all committed out.  Bummer, but really, really happy for him.  Helluva nice guy.

I like Hudson too, great duck and great people to work with!

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

15 hours ago, weinoo said:

Possibly our favorite grape to drink. I'd say lemon, stone, herby, nice and juicy, it makes your mouth water! 

For the "cellar" (okay, I don't have a cellar; for the apartment) I order from Chambers St. Wines. They have a pretty nice selection of rieslings. All natural /organic blah blah stuff.

Do you order from D'artagnan at all?  Their Rohan duck is great for roasting, and they sell the other 3 popular breeds.

The legs I get from Moulards come from Hudson Valley.

Awesome.  I do love Riesling - that washed stone screaming fresh minerality, gentle attack and balance of acid and residual sugar...absolutely love good Riesling, just haven’t had enough to be able to sort through the German system (a note, generally not a fan of Alsatian wines - significantly prefer Mosel Rieslings).

My wife worked for Odessa Piper, when she still owned L’Etoile.  It was her husband Terry Thiese who really got me turned on to Riesling, in no small measure through his book.  His reverence for the purity of expression found in good Riesling rang my bell, and I was off to the races.  (Didn’t hurt he gives his red wine nod to pinot for the same reason).

D’Artagnan, yes, agreed, Rohan is fantastic!  Sold me and we’ll be regularly returning to it.  Their Heritage Green Circle Chicken, too, and squab.

One bummer about no longer being in the biz (god help me if I were - I feel I’ve no history, chops, nothing at all; like it never was), is the lack of access to farmers and ranchers.  I worked with Christian Gasset of Au Bon Canard in MN and bought dozens of whole moutards constantly, were swimming in gallons of rendered golden deliciousness we used just about everywhere.  I wrote to him awhile back and his business has exploded since his early years, which is when I worked with him.  No more whole moutards available, all committed out.  Bummer, but really, really happy for him.  Helluva nice guy.

I like Hudson too, great duck and great people to work with!