• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 4/8/2021 at 7:12 PM, gfweb said:

@liuzhou your bok choy isn't our bok choy

I know, but I use the names and definitions used in China, not America. Seems reasonable.

There are many different types of 白菜 bok choy / pak choi. It just means 'white vegetable' or 'cabbage'. 'Bok choy' is Cantonese; in Mandarin it's 白菜 (bái cài). For what I hope are obvious reasons, I'm using Mandarin.

In 2016, a purple variety of napa cabbage was bred in Korea and introduced to China as 紫罗兰白菜 (zǐ luó lán bái cài) - literally 'violet cabbage'. That's what I had.

liuzhou

liuzhou

37 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I know, but I use the names and definitions used in China.

But there are many different types of 白菜 bok choy / pak choi. It just means 'white vegetable' or 'cabbage'. 'Bok choy' is Cantonese; in Mandarin it's 白菜 (bái cài). For what I hope are obvious reasons, I'm using Mandarin.

In 2016, a purple variety of napa cabbage was bred in Korea and introduced to China as 紫罗兰白菜 (zǐ luó lán bái cài) - literally 'violet cabbage'. That's what I had.

liuzhou

liuzhou

32 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I know, but I use the names and definitions used in China.

But there are many different types of 白菜 bok choy / pak choi. It just means 'white vegetable' or 'cabbage'. 'Bok choy' is Cantonese; in Mandarin it's 白菜 (bái cài). For what I hope are obvious reasons, I'm using Mandarin.

liuzhou

liuzhou

25 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I know.