• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Once toasted, do you pound all of the dried spices in a mortar or do you use an electric spice grinder?  Also, are you toasting them all at once?

I use a mortar, but half way through (about 5 min), I sieve the mix, separate and pound the coarser part for some minutes more ...

D037E7A5-C3CB-4AC8-998D-9B7B1D75AAFB.thumb.jpeg.7c1c2ef8a232f1342592ff7dd8d5dddd.jpeg

I toast all spices at the same time, but break down the cinnamon and crush the cardamom with a rolling pin before.

Duvel

Duvel

16 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Once toasted, do you pound all of the dried spices in a mortar or do you use an electric spice grinder?  Also, are you toasting them all at once?

I use a mortar, but half way through (about 5 min), I sieve the mix, separate and pound the coarser part for some minutes more ...

D037E7A5-C3CB-4AC8-998D-9B7B1D75AAFB.thumb.jpeg.7c1c2ef8a232f1342592ff7dd8d5dddd.jpeg

I toast all spices at the same time, but break down the cinnamon before and crush the cardamom with a rolling pin before.