• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Cooking Of Vienna's Empire - Foods Of The World--looking for a recipe!

Violin_guy

Hi All,

I own all of the time like foods of the world series EXCEPT the Cooking of Vienna's empire. I am interested in the carp recipes. Would anyone be so kind as to send them to me?

Thanks in advance.

Matt aka ViolinGuy!

Mine is in the garage buried behind the lawn tractor - will look and PM you. This may get you startyed if yu have not seen it yet.  https://jewishviennesefood.com/two-old-vienna-gefilte-fish-recipes-one-fried-one-poached-rabbi-style-stuffed-back-into-carp-steaks-with-its-kapl-red-chrain-and-jellied-yoich-recipes-neugroschel/  Vienna is my matriarchal food culture both mother and current Jewish stepmother - but no carp!

Edited by heidih (log)

If @heidih can’t easily track hers down, I was able to lay hands on mine and will gladly send you the recipes for carp. I see 3, one for Deviled Carp, one for Fish Dalmatian Style and the last for Carp In Black Sauce.

Edited by BetD (log)

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

5 minutes ago, BetD said:

If @heidih can’t easily track hers down, I was able to lay hands on mine and will gladly send you the recipes for carp. I see 3, one for Deviled Carp, one for Fish Dalmatian Style and the last for Carp In Black Sauce.

I don't have the spiral bound recipe booklet. In the book the Deviled one is included.  Curious - is the black sauce a black bread sauce or? Side benefit Oaxaca al Gusto turned up - been missing it as well as my Thai granite mortar and pestle :)

IMG_1534.JPG

IMG_1535.JPG

• Like 1

Also I love the narrative in the book about housewives keeping them alive in the bathtub for a few days to get out  that muddy taste they can have like wild catfish. Some purveyors kept them in cages lowered into the Danube to same effect.  Those  huge tubs in the big multi-floor apartments - a friend smuggled in some red ear slider baby turtles and they lived in spare tub for a couple years until her dad built them a pond at his company.  

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, heidih said:

I don't have the spiral bound recipe booklet. In the book the Deviled one is included.  Curious - is the black sauce a black bread sauce or? Side benefit Oaxaca al Gusto turned up - been missing it as well as my Thai granite mortar and pestle :)

It is a complex list of ingredients including red currant jelly, ginger snaps, prunes and raisins, among others. I suppose the raisins and prunes account for the dark color?  Nice to find unexpected treasures when one is digging through hard to get to books, isn’t it!  🙃

• Like 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.