• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is it safe using non-stick pans after accidental overheating?

Bencuri

So my story is this: have just purchased a brand new pan with a non-stick coating. Forgot it on the gas cooker on medium heat with a pancake in it. When returned after 10 minutes the underside of the pancake was black. I washed the pan, it seems to me the non-stick layer has no cracks, discoloration or chipping, the layer did not get loose. And it is still non stick. Is it still safe to use it, or I should get rid of it to buy a new one? The layer is marble according to the packing, but it seems to be very teflon like. I don't know if anything like this exists, but if yes, I wouldn't be surprised if it was fake marble:  teflon in fact with some paint to make it look like marble. The country of origin is China, so who knows. The marble pans I have seen so far looked a bit different than this one. 

Use it.

Firstly, a blackened pancake is not a good temperature indicator.

Then, perfluorinated polymers are very sturdy and do not really undergo many decomposition reactions at higher temperatures, but rather start to depolymerise at 600 oC+. This you would have noticed 😉 ...

Lastly, only at prolonged heating above 250 oC you could see some “creeping” in the polymer and thinning out the polymer layer, if you had some heavy stuff in your pan. Again, that blackened pancake won’t qualify.

So, I’d continue to use it.