• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mystery copper pan

basque

Hi everyone - I was gifted an older copper pan I don't recognize and can't find on the web - does anyone know its intended use, or anything else?

It's 11.5 inches diameter, handle is 7 inches long.  Underneath the handle there's a faded imprint with the first part illegible but the second part - very faded - says "LIMITED EDITION."

It's obviously machine tinned, not hand painted.  I'm mainly curious what the intended use is.

Thanks!

IMG_0452.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Think of this pan for dressing already made crepes, eg Suzette, lemon filled crespelli or as suggested souffle, not for making the crepes.  

Yeah, I'd love to see someone make crepes in that pan...isn't this the general shape for a crepe pan...

257175548_Crepepan12-26.thumb.jpeg.9d08f8ed30ea4759afe5d41960ffa76e.jpeg

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

53 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Yeah, I'd love to see someone make crepes in that pan...isn't this the general shape for a crepe pan...

Right unless you know a girl with one  of these. She used to live down the road. Your crepes the other day were lovely.

post-52659-0-08282500-1304278535.jpg

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Right unless you know a girl with one  of these. She used to live down the road. Your crepes the other day were lovely.

post-52659-0-08282500-1304278535.jpg

I have a Krampouz.  I think I'd made crepes once since getting it, but I just made pancakes on it three days in a row!  Excellent temperature stability.  Mine is not the commercial model.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

21 hours ago, dcarch said:

It's a PAUL REVERE WARE Limited Edition crepe souffle flat bottom pan.

dcarch

That's probably correct. If you like crepes I suppose you could try making crepes in it, but it doesn't seem like a standard crepe shape to me. But I don't like crepes, so I wouldn't use it that way. If I acquired this pan I guess I would simply try lots of different things with it and see what it works best for. It's got a big diameter, so perhaps you could bake fish in the oven with it?  Or maybe a very simple slim upside down fruit tarte? Fresh fruit in caramel, pastry over the top to bake. Really just winging it here.

If you don't think it would be very useful, check out eBay and see what they go for in various conditions, used or unused. Somebody will buy it at the right price. 

27 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

That's probably correct. If you like crepes I suppose you could try making crepes in it

It's not a crepe pan. It's a crepe souffle pan, kind of like a breakfast skillet. 

But if you really want to make crepes with it, how about turning it over and use the back side, :B

dcarch

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

That's probably correct. If you like crepes I suppose you could try making crepes in it, but it doesn't seem like a standard crepe shape to me. But I don't like crepes, so I wouldn't use it that way. If I acquired this pan I guess I would simply try lots of different things with it and see what it works best for. It's got a big diameter, so perhaps you could bake fish in the oven with it?  Or maybe a very simple slim upside down fruit tarte? Fresh fruit in caramel, pastry over the top to bake. Really just winging it here.

If you don't think it would be very useful, check out eBay and see what they go for in various conditions, used or unused. Somebody will buy it at the right price. 

Very helpful suggestions - thanks!  The kids are getting a thin upside down caramel pineapple for New Years!

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 4:05 PM, dcarch said:

It's a PAUL REVERE WARE Limited Edition crepe souffle flat bottom pan.

dcarch

That's exactly what it appears to be.

Think of this pan not as crepe manufacturing but as crepe assembly and presentation. 

This past year I acquired a table side service set, It has the Paul Revere embossed pan, looks like it was never used. The alcohol stove has shows signs of use. No maker marks on the stove unit. Pretty much solid copper, but probably "restaurant grade", for the trade. Still fun though.

And no, I've not used it as yet. Maybe this summer.

IMG_20210102_105003706.jpg

IMG_20210102_105021802.jpg

IMG_20210102_105030310.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/29/2020 at 7:13 PM, weinoo said:

Late 70s I was working local restaurants, ended up working nights in a cocktail type place and through those contacts worked lunches in a little soup/salad/crepe place. Very popular with the "ladies that lunched" at the time.

No more than a 40 seater place, we'd usually turn the tables twice each lunch. Limited staff, usually no more than 4 (including the owner), so we did it all. My primary job getting in the door was making crepes....depending on the expected days service it could be anywhere from 60 to 200. I got to be damned good at crepes.

I'd use that the type of pan weinoo shows in his post, next size up (maybe a 10"base?) and I'd use them upside down. Super easy to get the first side done, then an easy flip to get the 2nd side, slide it to the holding area, wave the pan a few times to cool it slightly, back down for another. Would usually have 3 or 4 pans going at a time. Quick work, then on to other tasks. Then open the doors and wait on tables. Then kitchen cleanup and dishes.

Good times. But thinking now about it, over that summer I probably made 5,000 to 6,000 crepes, maybe more. Damn. 

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

A friend just gifted me these 2 copper pans (from his mom's kitchen):

IMG_7862.thumb.jpeg.752f556a458e30ff100e4c6c851b8c02.jpeg

The oval is like 14", from end to end - I imagine it's mostly used for fish.

They will most likely get cleaned up and retinned...does anyone know the company from the logo?

IMG_7864.thumb.jpeg.e5da27b3b8f2ac581a6e472c19cae8fe.jpeg

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

what a wonderful gift !

you now will enjoy restoring them and enjoying them

I have 3 similar  oval copper items

from Dehlerins 

mine a bit later and w Sanless steel innards.

enjoy them !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

They will most likely get cleaned up and retinned...does anyone know the company from the logo?

To quote a respectable member from upthread …

On 12/30/2020 at 12:08 PM, weinoo said:

Show off.

But in reality - with just the tiniest bit of envy - congratulations 🥳

You want to check „Bonjour Copper Clad Cookingware“ …

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Duvel said:

To quote a respectable member from upthread …

But in reality - with just the tiniest bit of envy - congratulations 🥳

You want to check „Bonjour Copper Clad Cookingware“ …

I think you are close but that is a modern company and I do not think the one Mitch has is copper clad. 
B0E4D86B-8390-4435-B92C-025F1CF6DFEC.thumb.png.0b9e948f21286c529bfe0d7edd993bf0.png

this looks like the same Maker’s Mark from 

here.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Please see also this

Interesting. I am no expert but this doesn’t ring true with me for some reason especially the date of 1993. Hoping @weinoowill pop in soon and tell us what more he knows about this vessel. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Interesting. I am no expert but this doesn’t ring true with me for some reason especially the date of 1993. Hoping @weinoowill pop in soon and tell us what more he knows about this vessel. 

I don't know anything more - but I did find the same thing @Duvel found! And whatever else I found seems to indicate that the pans were made by Mauviel.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

And whatever else I found seems to indicate that the pans were made by Mauviel.

Same here - which would leave me content and happy, regardless of the imposed „brand name“ 🤗

• Like 1

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

Those are both really cool shapes!   Enjoy!

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.