• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food History Articles and Links

Carrot Top

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I don't think this has been posted before. The Bill of Fare for Andrew Johnson's Presidential Inauguration Ball in 1865, following the assassination of Lincoln.

Heavy on the desserts.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

See who did the catering (listed at the bottom)

Ah yes. I had not paid attention to that. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Found in: Smiley's cook book and universal household guide, a comprehensive collection of recipes and useful information pertaining to every department of housekeeping...1896.

340415616_540808091497586_6862345793509169823_n.thumb.jpg.227f4a9a7eb42c9e64f7f4e3337249bf.jpg

13th course??

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Western" sandwich

Okay, I just looked it up and as I suspected, it has about the same ingredients as a western or Denver omelette. Scrambled eggs ham and green pepper.

https://loveandgoodstuff.com/western-sandwich/#:~:text=Toasted western sandwiches traditionally only,green pepper%2C onion and ham.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

The celery, on the other hand, seems a bit pricey. 

Remembering the effort that my mother used to put into growing celery, I can understand the price. At that time it was grown strictly as a crudite. She grew it in a hothouse and wrapped the stocks in paper so that no 'ray of sun shall touch that delicate heart'. Raised that way, they were delicate and very labor intensive. They didn't use them as ingredients in food as we do now.

2 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Remembering the effort that my mother used to put into growing celery, I can understand the price. At that time it was grown strictly as a crudite. She grew it in a hothouse and wrapped the stocks in paper so that no 'ray of sun shall touch that delicate heart'. Raised that way, they were delicate and very labor intensive. They didn't use them as ingredients in food as we do now.

And they had those special glass serving vessels dedicated to celery. I think only the blanched (palse white/yellow) were considered elegant.

I know that some of you are on Facebook, where I have just discovered an interesting page:  "Eating History".  It's fascinating, old menus and WPA pictures, etc. 

image.png.f81032e5b273cd01028c37b47724dba2.png

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Stale bread? Dip bread? Breakfast wine!  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog