• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food History Articles and Links

Carrot Top

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I would 100% buy one of those to serve shrimp salad out of!  

Mr. Kim recently sent me this link: The Lost Glamour of the Department-Store Restaurant

I remember these places so well: Garfinkles, Lord & Taylor, Woodward & Lothrop, and the Miller & Rhoads Tea Room in Richmond VA.  Even as a little girl, I loved the elegant, intensely feminine feeling of those places.  The dainty sandwiches, airy popovers and tiny tea muffin baskets, beef bouillon in demitasse cups.  An American version of Afternoon Tea for this little Anglophile.  

Did they have the fashion shows too?  Filled avocado "salads" with tiny shrimp? sort of lie these Buffums memories  http://www.octhen.com/2010/09/yorba-room-at-buffums.html#

• Like 3

Wow. My shopping excursions with my mother were usually at Bloomingdales, which wasn't exactly known for glamour. I don't even remember them having a restaurant. For sustenance we would end up at a nearby Chock Full O Nuts so my mother could indulge in her favorite snack: date nut bread with cream cheese and a cup of coffee. Shopping with my mother for anything was mostly not a fun thing, so I latched onto the date nut bread like  being thrown a life-saver. It wasn't until 60 years later that I got a serious craving for it and learned how to make a good loaf myself.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Wow. My shopping excursions with my mother were usually at Bloomingdales, which wasn't exactly known for glamour. I don't even remember them having a restaurant. For sustenance we would end up at a nearby Chock Full O Nuts so my mother could indulge in her favorite snack: date nut bread with cream cheese and a cup of coffee. Shopping with my mother for anything was mostly not a fun thing, so I latched onto the date nut bread like  being thrown a life-saver. It wasn't until 60 years later that I got a serious craving for it and learned how to make a good loaf myself.

Our family preferred Wanamaker's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanamaker's

Even though my mother was offended they wouldn't let her smoke there.  How I remember meeting people at the Eagle.  And the organ concerts.  But most especially the toys.

Food was good.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Department stores in Memphis were Goldsmiths and Lowensteins. In Nashville it was Cain Sloan and Castner Knott. As an impoverished college student preparing for my first job in journalism, I bought myself a small wardrobe from Goldsmith’s bargain basement, and celebrated with lunch in the Tea Room — pimiento cheese on wheat, cut in triangles, crusts removed, and carrots, celery and cucumbers with tomato aspic. Quite elegant!

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Dayton’s, in Minneapolis, was known for it’s wild rice soup 🥣 

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:57 PM, heidih said:

Did they have the fashion shows too?  Filled avocado "salads" with tiny shrimp? sort of lie these Buffums memories  http://www.octhen.com/2010/09/yorba-room-at-buffums.html#

Miller and Rhoads Tea Room certainly did.  And Mr. Kim remembers Breakfast with Santa at Christmas time.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Warner Bros Studio Cafe Menu. Monday February 17th, 1941

Quite startling when you consider that Europe was in the middle of a war and food rationing in the UK had been in effect for a year. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

the USA declared its neutrality in the 1930s in several acts of congress the most recent in 1939. People     In a movie studio cafe in Burbank CA  in February 1941 might well have arguements while eating  over how much the US should be involved ,if at all, in those conflicts in Europe and Asia.  After all,even the national  hero Lindy was opposed to getting involved.   As long as that man in the White House and his "New Deal Democrats" didn't do anything to seriously antagonize the combatants then everything should go on just pleasantly as ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

18 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Warner Bros Studio Cafe Menu. Monday February 17th, 1941

I love that the first listing under "Specials" is "Canape of Anchovies"!

Then there's this listed under "Sandwiches":
"Manager Special (Peanut Butter, Baked Ham, and Chicken on Toast)"

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, SusieQ said:

I love that the first listing under "Specials" is "Canape of Anchovies"!

Then there's this listed under "Sandwiches":
"Manager Special (Peanut Butter, Baked Ham, and Chicken on Toast)"

Doesn't sound half bad actually.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 month later...

Who could afford to eat at The Plaza?

Salaries in 1900 in the States

Occupation
Annual Salary
2000 $
1900 Census Average Salary
$449.80
$8,973
Unskilled Female
$120
$2,394
African-American male laborer
$150
$2,992
African-American Female laundress
$180
$3,591
Nurses after two years
$193
$3,850
Factory women (Boston)
$295.44
$5,885
Retail Women (Boston)
$303.84
$6,045
National average female teachers
$381.50
$7,601
Lynn, MA factory seamstresses
$384
$7,660
Male Stenographer
$400
$7,980
Eden, NY Union Free School female teacher
$400
$7,980
National average male teachers
$452
$9,017
Nurse Supervisors
$463
$9,237
Western U.S. female teachers
$505
$10,074
Buffalo Railway Company trolley conductors
$533
$10,663
NYC Female teachers
$600
$11,970
Buffalo teacher after 4 years
$600
$11,970
Western U.S. male teachers
$610
$12,169
Buffalo NY factory planers
$624
$12,449
Buffalo School "department principal"
$750
$14,902
NYC male teachers
$900
$17,955
Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Thanksgiving menu at Plaza Hotel NYC, 1899: All in “cents.”

316938352_6721903927826836_6659321548688032391_n.thumb.jpg.17bd42d94932244b81e30ff61223a083.jpg

Hothouse tomatoes-check. Hothouse cucumber-check. Hothouse chicken-what the hell?

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 months later...