• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food History Articles and Links

Carrot Top

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

34 minutes ago, chromedome said:

It's interesting that this article brings out something that a friend and I were discussing the other day that in the aftermath of the Black Plague living conditions were actually better for people in Europe.

"it wiped out 30-40% of the population on the entire planet. Those who were left behind found that there was a lot more food to go around."

If history really does repeat itself, maybe there's hope that some good will come out of this one. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

17 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

And just as the article notes Wikipedia insists that it existed in Victorian times.  It gets around the difficulty by saying that it was not named until the 1920s!

“Windsor soup or Brown Windsor soup is a British soup that was popular during the Victorian and Edwardian eras.[1][2][3] The practice of calling it 'Brown Windsor' did not emerge until at least the 1920s, and was usually associated with low-quality brown soup of uncertain ingredients.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 months later...

A fascinationg selecton of London restaurant menus from the late 19th century and (mostly) early 20th century.

https://flashbak.com/a-collection-of-fascinating-20th-century-london-menus-451328/

Featuring, among more regular cuisines, this 1889 menu from what is believed to be the first vegetarian restaurant in England.

The-Alpha-vegetarian-restaurant-menu-1889--1200x1902.thumb.jpg.72dea255de62a3fa0f52213c02c63124.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This might just as easily go in the "Bad Ideas" topic, but it's an interesting read. :)

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/aspics-jello-salad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

This might just as easily go in the "Bad Ideas" topic, but it's an interesting read. :)

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/aspics-jello-salad

Many thanks for sending me down one of the most interesting rabbit holes that I have been in this year.

A fascinating website!

I would love to try moose muffle stew. However... might be a little hard to come by in Costa Rica.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There's a new translation of an important Moorish-Andalusian cookbook from the 15th century:

https://www.ft.com/content/4f902bf3-49c4-4227-bac4-d590c5a03516

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maison Rustique said:

That sounds fascinating but can't read it because of paywall.

That's odd. It didn't block me, but perhaps it's one of those "x free articles/mo across our properties" scenarios.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

from Encyclopedia for the Home by Cincinnati Times Star 1890s

I thought it was a Ninja Turtle eating off its chest. 

• Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I had to laugh when I saw that picture. In the 70s, I worked in a restaurant that served all their dinner salads in bowls that looked just like this. They were a real PIA!

I would 100% buy one of those to serve shrimp salad out of!  

Mr. Kim recently sent me this link: The Lost Glamour of the Department-Store Restaurant

I remember these places so well: Garfinkles, Lord & Taylor, Woodward & Lothrop, and the Miller & Rhoads Tea Room in Richmond VA.  Even as a little girl, I loved the elegant, intensely feminine feeling of those places.  The dainty sandwiches, airy popovers and tiny tea muffin baskets, beef bouillon in demitasse cups.  An American version of Afternoon Tea for this little Anglophile.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I would 100% buy one of those to serve shrimp salad out of!  

Mr. Kim recently sent me this link: The Lost Glamour of the Department-Store Restaurant

I remember these places so well: Garfinkles, Lord & Taylor, Woodward & Lothrop, and the Miller & Rhoads Tea Room in Richmond VA.  Even as a little girl, I loved the elegant, intensely feminine feeling of those places.  The dainty sandwiches, airy popovers and tiny tea muffin baskets, beef bouillon in demitasse cups.  An American version of Afternoon Tea for this little Anglophile.  

I had never heard of this publication.   Fascinating.  I just read a couple more of the articles and put myself on their mailing list.  Thanks!

• Like 2