• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Square Sausage/Lorne Sausage

ElsieD

26 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Is this the rusk they refer to?  My husband, whose father was born in Scotland ate a lot of Lorne sausage growing up except they called it "square sausage".  I'd like to make this for him.  These are Dutch rusks, I'm assuming I can grind them up and use this?

Bolletjezwiebackskorperkryddere_1024x1024@2x.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Is this the rusk they refer to?  My husband, whose father was born in Scotland ate a lot of Lorne sausage growing up except they called it "square sausage".  I'd like to make this for him.  These are Dutch rusks, I'm assuming I can grind them up and use this?

We called it square sausage, too. In fact, I never heard anyone call it Lorne sausage in Scotland!

I guess you could use the Dutch rusks, but I have no experience of them. When I was in the UK, I used to get it from  my friendly local butcher, Norman. It was virtually free.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 12/7/2021 at 2:22 AM, ElsieD said:

I'd like to make this for him. 

The last time that @liuzhou mentioned this I decided that I would like to make it and found a recipe on a site with Scottish food. I cut the recipe in half but still found that it was too much for us to use up in a reasonable amount of time. I cut the slices and laid them in a foiled pan and partially cooked them in a low oven (350f for 10 to 15 minutes). After that, I laid them on a plastic tray and froze them before packaging them in plastic bags. It sounds like more work but this sausage is delicious and it is well worth doing it to be able to just pull some out of the freezer (pop them in the microwave for one minute to thaw) and have it anytime you want.

As for the Rusks, I used course, dried bread crumbs. Having never eaten them, I asked Mr. Google and he just said that they were twice-baked bread. Made sense to me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I've seen favourable reports about using panko, too. Again, I've never tried it so can't really say much.

Panko would probably be okay if that's all you have but I think this needs a bit more body and panko tends to get mushy. What I used was good homemade bread**, blitzed in the food processor, and then toasted in the oven to dry until it is just a pale brown and thoroughly dry. Then, as you would say, Robert is your mother's brother.

** now that I think of it, any of my 'not so good bread' goes into bread crumbs, too.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Addition (log)

23 hours ago, liuzhou said:

We called it square sausage, too. In fact, I never heard anyone call it Lorne sausage in Scotland!

I guess you could use the Dutch rusks, but I have no experience of them. When I was in the UK, I used to get it from  my friendly local butcher, Norman. It was virtually free.

I watched a couple of videos earlier today of a Scottish butcher making pinhead rusk and square sausage.  I figure I can make the rusk.  I liked reading about Norman but not the part where he died.  Did Norman give you finely ground rusk or the coarser panko type?

• Thanks 1