• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food History Articles and Links

Carrot Top

Quite fascinating. Although almost all the dishes are quite familiar you might be hard-pressed to find many of them on a modern restaurant menu. Grilled kidney and bacon probably not show up on the menu in any Canadian restaurant. 

Edited by Anna N
Edited to correct “cheese”;to “kidney” (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

41 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Quite fascinating. Although almost all the dishes are quite familiar you might be hard-pressed to find many of them on a modern restaurant menu. Grilled cheese and bacon probably not show up on the menu in any Canadian restaurant. 

A few of the dishes would still appear on some menus in London. The sort of places working people use for lunch, rather  than a night out kind of venue.

Is grilled cheese on that menu? I can't see it. And the  grilled bacon accompanies kidneys, so that would still apppear in London, too.

P.S. Of course, they are using the British English meaning of 'grilled'. What you may call 'broiled'.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

52 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Is grilled cheese on that menu? I can't see it. And the  grilled bacon accompanies kidneys, so that would still apppear in London, too.

Nope. Poor copy editing on my part. I dictated kidney, I think but it got changed to cheese, I think!

I think I did understand what they meant by grilled. I am not quite sure that what I think of as a mixed grill would necessarily be correct. I would think of lamb chops lamb kidneys, beef steak, tomatoes and mushrooms. 

I have had many mixed grills over here but they have been of cuisines other than British.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Nor might grilled kidneys and bacon.

My original post has been corrected. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am not quite sure that what I think of as a mixed grill would necessarily be correct. I would think of lamb chops lamb kidneys, beef steak, tomatoes and mushrooms. 

Yes. Probably sausages (pork) and fried eggs, too. I haven't had one in decades!

• Thanks 1

Quite fascinating. do you happen to know the meaning of  “A Harrico of Mutton“.  This dish comes up elsewhere on something you posted. I believe it was a restaurant menu from the turn of the last century. Does not seem to have any relationship to beans. But I could be missing something. 

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Quite fascinating. do you happen to know the meaning of  “A Harrico of Mutton“.  This dish comes up elsewhere on something you posted. I believe it was a restaurant menu from the turn of the last century. Does not seem to have any relationship to beans. But I could be missing something. 

The original meaning of harrico or haricot was: 

haricot, n.

(ˈhærɪkəʊ, -kɒt)

Also 7 aricot, 8 arico, harricot, 8–9 harico, harrico.

[a. F. haricot (16th c. in Littré), in 14th c. hericoq de mouton (Hatz.-Darm.), hericot (Littré), in sense 1; in sense 2 Hatz.-Darm. cite fevre de haricot of 1642. Origin uncertain: see Littré.]

1.1 A ragout (originally of mutton, now sometimes of other meat). Also attrib.

[1611 Cotgr., Haricot, mutton sod with little turneps, some wine, and tosts of bred crumbled among.] 1706 Phillips (ed. Kersey), Haricot, a particular way of dressing Mutton-cutlets, or several sorts of Fowl and Fish in a Ragoo with Turneps; also a kind of French beans.    
1769 Mrs. Raffald Eng. Housekpr.

(1778) 102 Harico of a Neck of Mutton.    
1816 Catherine Hutton in W. Hutton's Autobiog. Concl. 90 Harico of mutton and gooseberry pudding. 1870 Daily News 16 Nov., Irish stew or haricot mutton.

The name for the beans came later. Haricot beans were the beans commonly used in harricots of mutton.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The original meaning of harrico or haricot was: 

Thank you so very much. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 1

Meant to post this a few days ago, when I saw it initially, but forgot...

https://qz.com/1176962/map-how-the-word-tea-spread-over-land-and-sea-to-conquer-the-world/

• Like 2

Pushing back the "known" date for animal husbandry...

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/25/e2100901118

• Like 1

It's National Gin Day! Who decides these things? Anyway, here is an interesting, if short, article on the history of gin.

https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Mothers-Ruin/

I'm off to celebrate with a G+T.

686949959_BombayGin.thumb.jpg.85003450d716123ced244bd70922b524.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

but then I read this.

What a fascinating exploration of a strange behaviour. I may never look at a potato again without wondering if it’s  boneless.  

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 8:50 PM, chromedome said:

I'm sorry, but that article is nonsensical. Medlars were common when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s. My grandparents had them growing their large garden.

Medlars are still commonly grown. I saw them in England in 2019. both growing and the fruit one of the supermarkets selling them, although the article says no supermarkets sell them!

Nor were either Shakespeare or Henry VIII 'medieval' as the article states.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1