• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Mashups Dept: Quebec Eatery hits big with "Tourtine"

chromedome

Yeah...a tourtiere with poutine in it. As the writer observes mildly, "...I am not convinced that it is gastronomically pleasing."

https://theconversation.com/poutine-in-a-pie-would-you-eat-a-tourtine-this-holiday-season-152422

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

...and fries.

Though as the author points out, there are perfectly authentic, regional versions of tourtiere that do include potatoes. So it's not as much of a stretch as it might sound at first blush.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

So it is essentially a meat pie containing cheese curds?

Sounds like what is known around here as a "California Burrito". Think of a Carne Asada burrito with French fries included inside.

• Haha 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 12/28/2020 at 4:51 PM, chromedome said:

...and fries.

Though as the author points out, there are perfectly authentic, regional versions of tourtiere that do include potatoes. So it's not as much of a stretch as it might sound at first blush.

My tortiere includes potatoes

• Like 1

I used to use diced potatoes in my tourtière.  My husband does NOT like plain photos especially if they are in something where the potatoes are easily identifiable.  So I switched to fresh bread crumbs.  Then I read where instant potato flakes can be used which is what I use now.  So yes, spuds are in the tortiere but not noticeable.  I can't help but think I wouldn't like to see french fries in there though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

My tortiere includes potatoes

Mine, too! 

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I used to use diced potatoes in my tourtière.  My husband does NOT like plain photos especially if they are in something where the potatoes are easily identifiable.  So I switched to fresh bread crumbs.  Then I read where instant potato flakes can be used which is what I use now.  So yes, spuds are in the tortiere but not noticeable.  I can't help but think I wouldn't like to see french fries in there though.

I like small potato chunks but I have made tourtière with grated potatoes, similar to this Chatelaine recipe

• Like 2