• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Heating Cabinet vs. dough proofer / heating cabinet

Celest

Good evening everyone, First time posting here, have enjoyed the topics I've read about so far.

I am considering purchasing a heating cabinet to speak up production when I switch from one kind of chocolate to another. Usually we would do this at the end of a day and just start the next colour the next morning. Also, feel that it would help continue production if I could add chocolate in the middle of the day that I didn't' have to heat up in a microwave. Also figured I could use it when I was spraying molds to hold my cocoa butter and gun.

That being said, could I potentially use a dough proofer (without water) for the same purpose. I have never used one, so I don't know their full capacity. Is the temp controlled well? does it fluctuate much?  It seems like a good alternative to a heating cabinet specifically made for chocolate, and cheaper.

Thank you for your insight!

Celest

Celest Robinson

Shade Tree Chocolate Studio Ltd.

There is always so much more to learn....

I currently use an Perfect Air 2.0 and have a selmi in storage (yeah, that's sad, I know!)  I liked the look of the Cabinets that the Perfect Choco sells, the half size ones I believe you can put 2 bins of 40kgs in each. at 3000 cnd new, its a bit out of my current price range

I bought your eztemper last year, and don't know why it took me until this October that to realize I could also use it to hold my coloured cocoabutter...but I want bigger :D  Though I could use the heating cabinet to do both jobs.   Also figured that if a bread proofer can hold it's temp too without humidity, it also might be a viable option in the price range.

Celest Robinson

Shade Tree Chocolate Studio Ltd.

There is always so much more to learn....

26 minutes ago, Celest said:

I currently use an Perfect Air 2.0 and have a selmi in storage (yeah, that's sad, I know!)  I liked the look of the Cabinets that the Perfect Choco sells, the half size ones I believe you can put 2 bins of 40kgs in each. at 3000 cnd new, its a bit out of my current price range

I bought your eztemper last year, and don't know why it took me until this October that to realize I could also use it to hold my coloured cocoabutter...but I want bigger :D  Though I could use the heating cabinet to do both jobs.   Also figured that if a bread proofer can hold it's temp too without humidity, it also might be a viable option in the price range.

I understand completely! Takes me a while to start playing with my toys too.

Options I've seen people use - the oven (if it can go to low temperatures). A 12V camping cooler/heater - will give you around 10º C warmer than room temperature. You might find an incubator somewhere for a much better price and if you get a big enough one you could put the bins in there along with your colours. A used Savage melter - I believe the size that @Chocolot has a couple of holds 25 lbs. 

20 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I understand completely! Takes me a while to start playing with my toys too.

Options I've seen people use - the oven (if it can go to low temperatures). A 12V camping cooler/heater - will give you around 10º C warmer than room temperature. You might find an incubator somewhere for a much better price and if you get a big enough one you could put the bins in there along with your colours. A used Savage melter - I believe the size that @Chocolot has a couple of holds 25 lbs. 

The smallest Savage holds 50#.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Also consider a simple food warmer or two.  Not as precise as the more expensive Mol d' Art or Martellato melters, but if you just need melted chocolate to transfer to your tempering machine as needed, they work.  An 8" deep full hotel pan will hold 20+ kg of chocolate.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-w50-12-x-20-full-size-electric-countertop-food-warmer-120v-1200w/177W50.html

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, DJ Silverchild said:

Has anyone used a dough proofer to warm molds?

The previous confectioner had the company buy one and I'm not exactly sure why.

I don't warm molds and am not aware of that being a standard practice.  Maybe if it's insanely cold in your production room and the chocolate is crystallizing way too quickly?  But it would have to be below 60F before I'd think of doing that.