• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2000 year old “fast food joint” unearthed at Pompeii

Duvel

• Like 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

The pix I saw showed that the food options were illustrated, just like any good halal cart! 

I did check out the dormouse entry above (sort of like a rabbit hole!) I hope the name of the fattening jar comes up in conversation some day soon, or at least in a crossword puzzle. Or show and tell. "What I learned during the pandemic."

• Like 1

It's really a fascinating place to visit and they are excavating new (old) things all the time...

Ancient Purebred Horse With Bronze-Plated Saddle Is Discovered in Pompeii

Also not to be missed in my opinion, is the unearthed city of Ostia Antica - a much closer trip if visiting Rome. Not as wonderfully preserved or unearthed, but much less visited - we found it similarly fascinating - lots of food shops.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

This just shows that the Romans of 2000 years ago were much more organized than the Italians of nowadays. Better to not think about how Pompei was managed in the past decades.

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

o not to be missed in my opinion, is the unearthed city of Ostia Antica

Since we are on eGullet, a visit to Ristorante Gellius is more than suggested: the only restaurant to be located in Roman ruins, with 1 michelin star too. It's about 40 km from Venice. In this area you can also visit Altinum, a totally overlooked archeological site, even by the locals.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo