• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Washington Post’s Best Cookbooks of 2020.

Anna N

I find it an eclectic and intriguing list. Even though I do not do much cooking these days I can certainly be drawn in by lists such as this. (Hoping it is not paywalled.)

Click

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I bought each of our kids a copy of the Garten. It is a good book

I have Ottolenghi's and (I think) Sharma's. Also good.

If the rest of WaPo's list is as good, it has been a very good year.

And they missed Vivian Howard

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I find it an eclectic and intriguing list. Even though I do not do much cooking these days I can certainly be drawn in by lists such as this. (Hoping it is not paywalled.)

Click

Yes it is though $1/one month. 

image.png.273e99dff853941dacf476ca60b56ff9.png

Anyone have this - it's landed on many top cookbooks of 2020 lists?

What I read, and what intrigues me even moreso than the recipes may, is that he gives the measurements in grams, ounces AND volume - and how nice is that?

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Don’t have the book but you might enjoy his website.  Same use of metric, imperial and volume measurements.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

image.png.273e99dff853941dacf476ca60b56ff9.png

What I read, and what intrigues me even moreso than the recipes may, is that he gives the measurements in grams, ounces AND volume - and how nice is that?

I am balking at the price tag... $23 for a Kindle version is more that I am willing to part with.

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

1 minute ago, BetD said:

I am balking at the price tag... $23 for a Kindle version is more that I am willing to part with.

Yep. I resent paying that kind of money for a book that is basically only being loaned to me and which I cannot resell or even lend. I tend to draw the line at $9.99 CDN. It has to be really something to persuade me to part with more than that.

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Don’t have the book but you might enjoy his website.  Same use of metric, imperial and volume measurements.

Merci!  

3 hours ago, BetD said:

The actual book, the thing that you can hold in your hands and write in and spill shit on, is less. That's what I'm getting.

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Yep. I resent paying that kind of money for a book that is basically only being loaned to me and which I cannot resell or even lend. I tend to draw the line at $9.99 CDN. It has to be really something to persuade me to part with more than that.

See above. I own 0 kindle books. For loans, I hit up my device and get them from the library. 

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 1/2/2021 at 5:44 AM, weinoo said:

I just got around to placing my order for the book.  An author interview with Edd Kimber chatting with Nicole Rucker (author of Dappled) via LA's Now Serving cookbook shop sold me so I ordered it from them.  The interview can be found in their list of recorded events here, by scrolling down to Sept 6.  It suffers from Zoom lags but overall, I found it an enjoyable listen. 

That list includes author interviews from several other books on this WP list, including The Flavor Equation (Oct 27, Nic Sharma with Samin Nosrat), Mosquito Supper Club (Apr 22, Melissa M. Martin with Jeff Gordinier), Parwana (Oct 19, Durkhanai Ayubi with Evan Kleiman), Chicano Eats (June 30, Esteban Castillo with Javier Cabral) and In Bibi's Kitchen (Oct 15, Hawa Hassan with Stephen Satterfield.) The last one disappointed me a bit because it barely touched on cooking from the book but it's still a good interview. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add dates for the other interviews (log)
  • Like 4