• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Typhoon in Portland

Interesting. Not the first time they've been in the paper for visa reasons, though I can't find the article in question. (Maybe in the PI from before 1999?) Possibly something about importing people who couldn't do the work (such as vegetable carving) domestically; I've always wondered why they couldn't just train some locals, even if it took a few years.

Do you think the article gave Steve Kline a fair chance to respond? Because it sounds like unbelievably sleazy behavior, but I'd hate to base that conclusion off a single article.

I once quit a job rather than sign a noncompete agreement. They're totally repugnant.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

E-2 and H-1 visa arrangements are little more than legalized indentured servitude. They work well for employers, and avoid the need to invest in training for their local employees. It's impossible to organize them into a union. In Silicon Valley, they're called slave papers.

If the restaurant took the money they invested in airfare and accomodations for these folks and used it for a co-op education for high school students (you work here 15 hours a week, we'll pay you and train you), they'd have a domestic work force and provide jobs for local people who want to work.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 4 weeks later...