• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

Warm moist conditions favor the growth of more than greens.

I wonder how rigorous the supermarket procedures have to be to keep this set-up from growing nasty things.

Having said that, I do think its safer this way than the traditional distribution method and has the added benefit of longer shelf-life, since the greens don't spend a week or two between picking and the eventual sale.

ETA...Looking at their website, they grow mostly herbs as opposed to what would make up the body of a salad. There are a couple salad greens for sure, but I infer that they can't grow bulk greens on a practical scale yet.

gfweb

gfweb

I wonder how rigorous the supermarket procedures have to be to keep this set-up from growing nasty things.

Warm moist conditions favor the growth of more than greens.

Having said all that,I think its safer this way than the traditional distribution method and has the added benefit of longer shelf-life, since the greens don't spend a week or two between picking and the eventual sale.