• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

eugenep

eugenep

can liquid nitrogen drop the temp of fish to -4 F ? 

In the NYC area there are sushi lunch specials were you get 3 rolls for like $12. The price is very low for sashimi quality fish.

I've always suspected that many fish at supermarkets can be eaten raw without fear of parasites without the -4 F freezing temp and that sushi restaurants selling at such great prices are using such supermarket fish without the freezing. 

The FDA (and/or Florida regulations) say that eating raw fish without the -4 F freeze is safe as long as the fish is farm raised on pellets not containing parasites. See 

Further, the sushi chef in the vid confirmed many sushi restaurants do just what the FDA regulations permit and raw salmon that is farm raised and which can be purchased in the supermarket is used for sashimi without the super freeze. 

Helen Rennie's blog also says the same thing - that farm raised salmon, generally*, is safe to eat as sashimi along with brazino, hamachi (yellowtail) etc without the step of freezing to -4 F. 

This is such a relief and I think I"m going to go to Costco to get farm raised salmon and eat that raw (as maki roll, pressed sushi etc.) even though it's not commercially frozen to -4F. 

Further, salmon/fish from Norway, Scotland, Faro Islands and similar areas have such high standards of fish processing that it might already be sashimi grade when its from these countries (farm not wild). 

eugenep

eugenep

In the NYC area there are sushi lunch specials were you get 3 rolls for like $12. The price is very low for sashimi quality fish.

I've always suspected that many fish at supermarkets can be eaten raw without fear of parasites without the -4 F freezing temp and that sushi restaurants selling at such great prices are using such supermarket fish without the freezing. 

The FDA (and/or Florida regulations) say that eating raw fish without the -4 F freeze is safe as long as the fish is farm raised on pellets not containing parasites. See 

Further, the sushi chef in the vid confirmed many sushi restaurants do just what the FDA regulations permit and raw salmon that is farm raised and which can be purchased in the supermarket is used for sashimi without the super freeze. 

Helen Rennie's blog also says the same thing - that farm raised salmon, generally*, is safe to eat as sashimi along with brazino, hamachi (yellowtail) etc without the step of freezing to -4 F. 

This is such a relief and I think I"m going to go to Costco to get farm raised salmon and eat that even though it's not commercially frozen to -4F. 

Further, salmon/fish from Norway, Scotland, Faro Islands and similar areas have such high standards of fish processing that it might already be sashimi grade when its from these countries (farm not wild). 

eugenep

eugenep

Helen Rennie's blog also says the same thing - that farm raised salmon, generally*, is safe to eat as sashimi along with brazino, hamachi (yellowtail) etc. 

This is such a relief and I think I"m going to go to Costco to get farm raised salmon and eat that.