• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

On 12/24/2020 at 2:06 PM, Anna N said:

If the latter what will be the quality of her milk or will she ever be milked?

She wouldn't give enough milk to make here a good dairy cow, but she'd make an excellent calf-rearing mother in terms of the amount of milk she'd give.

She's worth most as a mother of a 3/4 Wagyu calf — it wouldn't make sense to send her for beef.

If the F1 calf is a male, it's a different story — he'd likely be castrated, to become a steer, then raised for beef.

I hope that answers some questions.

Happy to answer more.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

On 12/24/2020 at 2:06 PM, Anna N said:

She wouldn't give enough milk to make here a good dairy cow, but she'd make an excellent calf-rearing mother in terms of the amount of milk she'd give.

She's worth most as a mother of a 3/4 wagyu calf — it wouldn't make sense to send her for beef.

If the F1 calf is a male, it's a different story — he'd likely be castrated, to become a steer, then raised for beef.

Happy to answer more.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

23 hours ago, Anna N said:

She's worth most as a mother to a 3/4 wagyu calf — it wouldn't make sense to send her for beef.

Happy to answer more.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

23 hours ago, Anna N said:

She wouldn't give enough milk to make here a good dairy cow, but she's make an excellent calf-rearing mother in terms of the amount of milk she'd give.

She's worth most as a mother to a 3/4 wagyu calf — it wouldn't make sense to send her for beef.

Happy to answer more.