• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta Interference

kitwilliams

So I was making a big pot of Marcella Hazan's ragu. I always quadruple the recipe which calls for three pounds of ground beef. As you probably know, this is a long, slow cook, the beef simmering in white wine until all the liquid is absorbed, and then in milk until it is absorbed. I had asked my dad, a competent but cholesterol minded man, to add the tomatoes once the milk had absorbed as I had an appointment to keep. Prior to doing this, he decided that there was a bit too much fat in the pot so he poured everything into a strainer and rinsed it with water. All that lovely flavor, down the drain!

Any similar stories?

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Egad. So he's no longer your father, of course. :angry:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I worked with a dishwasher dude who threw away a big pot of fish stock, because in his words," i thought it was water that had gone off"  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

I worked with a dishwasher dude who threw away quite a few litres of veal glace b/c he thought it was crap at the bottom of the stock.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

we had a nice chicken stock going in our steam kettle one afternoon with a sachet of peppercorns, bayleaf and thyme floating on top. an electrician that was working on the walk-in compressor took a look at the cheesecloth and alerted me that there was a dirty sock floating in my soup.

in the most serious tone i could muster i told him that i was fully aware of the situation and that i had to wear that damned sock for a week before using it in the soup! he sorta cocked his head, shrugged and walked off...

So I was making a big pot of Marcella Hazan's ragu.  I always quadruple the recipe which calls for three pounds of ground beef.  As you probably know, this is a long, slow cook, the beef simmering in white wine until all the liquid is absorbed, and then in milk until it is absorbed.  I had asked my dad, a competent but cholesterol minded man, to add the tomatoes once the milk had absorbed as I had an appointment to keep.  Prior to doing this, he decided that there was a bit too much fat in the pot so he poured everything into a strainer and rinsed it with water.  All that lovely flavor, down the drain!

Any similar stories?

hence the rule in my apartment that no one is allowed in the kitchen but me (when I'm making dinner that is)

:wink:

SA