• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(What to do with) Unusual Cooking Pots, Pans and Small Appliances

TdeV

3 hours ago, chord said:

A 2 quart pot should make a decent sized boule. The linked recipe uses 300g of flour. I regularly bake a 450g loaf in a 3qt Lodge and it doesn't come close to filling the pot.

Indeed, if you desire a narrow-bottomed loaf shaped like a bell pepper, this is your pot!  I have a 3 qt Lodge that I like for baking no-knead bread and would recommend it highly over the smaller pot. It's also got a much larger base for searing and offers half-again more capacity. It's a work horse.  The little one is very cute and quite handy for small cooks. 

• Haha 1

2 lbs 11 oz of chuck beef roast turned into 1 lb 11 oz when trimmed of fat and cartilage. I followed Bruce Aidell's Zinfandel stew recipe (mod. boeuf bourguignon) with meat dusted with paprika, thyme and rosemary, then flour, then sides pan fried. Also in pan were diced pork belly, 3/4 bottle Zin (reduced), italian tomatoes. Quite full.

IMG_2698_Signal.thumb.jpg.36643d25c00e5a63788bc63b06b8e2eb.jpg

It smells great. Looks like a disaster to clean though. :P

IMG_2701Signal.thumb.jpg.45c5546ba5fbf171795b0a78aaa8e76a.jpg

• Like 4

Not the size of the green pepper thing (yes I detest them) but this adorable little cast iron enamel "pot" flew off the shelf and into my cart at Home Goods several years ago. Turns out it is perfect for garlic. Filled with peeled cloves from Korean market, covered with olive oil, and baked uncovered until spreadable soft. Then the cover tops it and into fridge it goes unless there is fresh bread and it all gets devoured while warm. Ya never know when the perfect fit will happen. 

IMG_1531.JPG

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1