• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jimb0

jimb0

24 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Well, once you guys figure out how Cedric Grolet manages to circumvent the laws of thermodynamics and bend the properties of cocoa butter to his will, do let me know, it'll be handy in summer when I'm trying to temper chocolate in my 90F kitchen.

🙄 oh come on.

i think you guys are overestimating how quickly a ball of chocolate that's been in the freezer for hours is going to melt, to be frank. my guess is that if this uses the hot sugar dip, some of it very quickly hardens on contact. it's not a sustained exposure.

i don't know what else it could be unless he's doing something like glazing it with a transparent glaze and pouring ln2 over it.

jimb0

jimb0

9 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Well, once you guys figure out how Cedric Grolet manages to circumvent the laws of thermodynamics and bend the properties of cocoa butter to his will, do let me know, it'll be handy in summer when I'm trying to temper chocolate in my 90F kitchen.

🙄 oh come on.

i think you guys are overestimating how quickly a ball of chocolate that's been in the freezer for hours is going to melt, to be frank. my guess is that if this uses the hot sugar dip, some of it very quickly hardens on contact. it's not a sustained exposure.