• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jimb0

jimb0

On 12/27/2020 at 2:57 AM, dhardy123 said:

I'm sorry to see this late but I do have Cedric Grolet's recipe for this (in French) if you are still interested.

EDIT:

Oops I tried to delete this message. I do not have the recipe for his Pomme Tatin. The recipe is for the Pommes Aneth:

https://www.academiedugout.fr/recettes/tartelettes-pomme-aneth_11704_2

i’ve read through this recipe several times now, and i think they’ve used a different picture. the picture on that page clearly shows a hard, transparent coating (there’s a shard visible on the lower left), so it’s not a mirror glaze. in the finishing steps, though, the recipe only references the white chocolate coating. i even snagged a copy of the cookbook to look it up and the recipe and picture are the same, so i’m calling foul.

i will note, however, that even in this recipe the core is basically frozen solid before being dipped in the chocolate coating (which is 1:1 white chocolate and pure cocoa butter, with colourings and vanilla powder, so it could get very hard indeed) so i think both actually do use a hot syrup / caramel of some kind, issues with temperature stability and production aside. 

jimb0

jimb0

On 12/27/2020 at 2:57 AM, dhardy123 said:

I'm sorry to see this late but I do have Cedric Grolet's recipe for this (in French) if you are still interested.

EDIT:

Oops I tried to delete this message. I do not have the recipe for his Pomme Tatin. The recipe is for the Pommes Aneth:

https://www.academiedugout.fr/recettes/tartelettes-pomme-aneth_11704_2

i’ve read through this recipe several times now, and i think they’ve used a different picture. the picture on that page clearly shows a hard, transparent coating (there’s a shard visible on the lower left), so it’s not a mirror glaze. in the finishing steps, though, the recipe only references the apple white chocolate coating. i even snagged a copy of the cookbook to look it up and the recipe and picture are the same, so i’m calling foul.

i will note, however, that even in this recipe the core is basically frozen solid before being dipped in the apple chocolate coating (which is 1:1 white chocolate and pure cocoa butter, with colourings and vanilla powder, so it could get very hard indeed) so i think both actually do use a hot syrup / caramel of some kind, issues with temperature stability and production aside.