• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

Thanks, some very good ideas here! @Paul Bacino — the pave would work really well given the mix of stuff we have, and I'm sure I could double the batch and freeze portions of it in foil to have an easy side later.

And I should lean more into soups and stews — the ones mentioned here and others. I'm just remembering now that I saw a recipe for a Japanese curry with daikon the other day that would probably be quite adaptable to some of the other stuff we have on hand.

@Anna N — I don't know why I don't always have pickled beets around; they'd last way longer than plain roasted ones, and still be ready to eat. I think we eat beets less because by the time I think to cook them, everything else is close to ready. Pickled turnips and do chua were already on my list so it's a logical addition.

@heidih do you have a bagna cauda recipe you particularly like? I know what it is but I am ashamed to admit I have never actually eaten or made it. You can keep the carrot hot dog recipe 🤣

@BeeZee I probably should break down and look at the recipes for red velvet cake that involve beets. My better half loves red velvet and we have a lot of cream cheese in the fridge.

dtremit

dtremit

Thanks, some very good ideas here! @Paul Bacino — the pave would work really well given the mix of stuff we have, and I'm sure I could double the batch and freeze portions of it in foil to have an easy side later.

And I should lean more into soups and stews — the ones mentioned here and others. I'm just remembering now that I saw a recipe for a Japanese curry with daikon the other day that would probably be quite adaptable to some of the other stuff we have on hand.

I don't know why I don't always have pickled beets around; they'd last way longer than plain roasted ones, and still be ready to eat. I think we eat beets less because by the time I think to cook them, everything else is close to ready. Pickled turnips and do chua were already on my list so it's a logical addition.

@heidih do you have a bagna cauda recipe you particularly like? I know what it is but I am ashamed to admit I have never actually eaten or made it.

@BeeZee I probably should break down and look at the recipes for red velvet cake that involve beets. My better half loves red velvet and we have a lot of cream cheese in the fridge.