• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help, please. I'm a little freaked out by my hog hair!

Kim Shook

I picked up my local pasture raised skin on pork loin from the butcher today and when opened it, the skin looked like this:

IMG_4384.jpg.40e346366a1891433e7850735a8fb64c.jpg

WHAT THE HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THIS????  Do I pluck it?  Burn it?  Most of them are subcutaneous, but with some you can feel the tips of the hair.  Do I pluck the ones I can and leave the rest or should I dig out each and every one?  Please help - this city girl is freaked.  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

well ...

you can start buy calling your butcher

\and what the local procedure is 

if the local butcher does not choose to take your call

send it to me

Ill post my results

deliciously 

drunk.jpeg.930aa32ff94ef545178a4a03dbb4c035.jpeg

call first

I do have some ideas for you']w/o sending that

delici0usnees  to me

let us know what age butchernsuggest 

17 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

this city girl is freaked.  

I would be freaked too.  I have never run into this in my life and I’ve eaten an awful lot of pork and a lot of crackling. I don’t know how to advise you. I just hope somebody else does.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had a piece of hog like that once; I cut the hair out and lost a lot of skin. What my chef friends told me to do (too late) was indeed to use a cooking torch to burn the hair off. Iwatani makes a good one, but if you need it quickly, head to restaurant supply!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

There are two option: (1) use a disposable razor and shave (no shaving foam required), or (2) use a small blowtorch and flame them - better outdoors, as it tends to be a bit smelly ...

I usually use (1).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Duvel said:

There are two option: (1) use a disposable razor and shave (no shaving foam required), or (2) use a small blowtorch and flame them - better outdoors, as it tends to be a bit smelly ...

I usually use (1).

But are your butchers usually this careless that you need to do this?

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook 

Most of them are subcutaneous "

well

hair is not usually subcutaneous 

pls call the butcher and report back

wat boy have will be soon

Soooo delicious !

Maybe I used the wrong word. What I meant was that most of it was under the top surface of the skin. Only a few of them have the hair poking out of the skin.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

14 minutes ago, NancyH said:

I had a piece of hog like that once; I cut the hair out and lost a lot of skin. What my chef friends told me to do (too late) was indeed to use a cooking torch to burn the hair off. Iwatani makes a good one, but if you need it quickly, head to restaurant supply!

I did do that.  It frizzled the tiny bits that are poking out, but did nothing for what I'm calling the roots.  

OK! So I took @rotuts advice to call the shop, which I should have done before anything, and now I have my answer. This particular local breed has very dark hair and there is no way to get all of the roots out.  She said if they had missed getting any to just burn them off very quickly. Thank you all for your nice attention to me and I can’t wait to show you what this finally ends up looking like when I cook it on Christmas Eve. ☺️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ive reviewed 

@dcarch 

excellent post and contribution

at 4:07 / 7:56

" Brazil-lions "  [sic] comes up

its right there !

i , of course no nothing 

of " Brazil-Lions ' in this context 

but , with very little imagination 

Im not gong to Bazillion a Hog.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, donk79 said:

Why "skin-on" for a loin?  Unless you have a specific intention for it, I would just remove the skin.

That would defeat the whole  purpose. I would rather have the cracklings than the meat. 

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ive reviewed 

@dcarch 

excellent post and contribution

at 4:07 / 7:56

" Brazil-lions "  [sic] comes up

its right there !

i , of course no nothing 

of " Brazil-Lions ' in this context 

but , with very little imagination 

Im not gong to Bazillion a Hog.

Stop while you are ahead and pray for memory erasure.

37 minutes ago, donk79 said:

Why "skin-on" for a loin?  Unless you have a specific intention for it, I would just remove the skin.

What foolishness is that?

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog