• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vessels that promote the most condensation

Samer

7 minutes ago, weinoo said:

THE STAUB!

And I fully support your choice (after all, with your purchase you are supporting my home country). 

My point was that the reasons you have cited (assumed longevity, preferred country of origin) might not hold if subjected to an objective view. Perceived image value (the „coolness“ factor) is highly subjective and thus not debatable. And if you can get your preferred choice for free from a friend, I am happy for you !

• Like 1

that's one way to look at it

a very common way ,

yet if you put the difference in

Tesla, inc ( TSLA ) call options 

you'd have a house and any kitchen of your choice .

@chord 

good point.   

I knew it !

savvy shoppers bought all the ones 

they used to have.

IKEA.thumb.jpg.864f58602f2f2f7212c7e307910c4b77.jpg

only available in Meconium.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Duvel said:

And I fully support your choice (after all, with your purchase you are supporting my home country). 

My point was that the reasons you have cited (assumed longevity, preferred country of origin) might not hold if subjected to an objective view. Perceived image value (the „coolness“ factor) is highly subjective and thus not debatable. And if you can get your preferred choice for free from a friend, I am happy for you !

Reasons we purchase are far from objective. They're also, in my opinion, far from perceived. I stopped shopping at IKEA (and this is after we gut renovated a kitchen and did a full IKEA renovation) after I found out more about its founder.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

50 minutes ago, rotuts said:

if you put the difference in

Tesla, inc ( TSLA ) call options 

you'd have a house and any kitchen of your choice .

Unfortunately, we're not allowed to participate in these types of gambles.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

39 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Reasons we purchase are far from objective. They're also, in my opinion, far from perceived. I stopped shopping at IKEA (and this is after we gut renovated a kitchen and did a full IKEA renovation) after I found out more about its founder.

I think we deviated from the OP’s question,  and I apologise.

Let me finish my contribution to this thread assuring you again that I have no objection to your choices. I did not agree with your arguments on the quality/origin, and thus have stated mine.

Again, I can and do not contest your choices based on perceived image value, and will certainly not contest your choice based on historical/political facts, even if this opens up a third line of rationalisation, moving from “pro-Staub” to “anti-IKEA”. 

What it shows me at the end is that we both enjoy our respective cooking vessels and I am sure that will continue ...

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dcarch said:

I am not sure if this makes sense.

Condensation is pure water. So if water gets evaporated and not condensed back into the pot, why not just add more water?

dcarch

Good point. The goal is to braise the food in its own liquid without the action of any water. Hence the desire is to minimize evaporation.  Pressure rising in a tight vessel will certainly increase the cooking temperature as well. The question is can we ensure a lower temperature by promoting circulation of the steam-water in a tight vessel? Would the condensed water dripping back ((which technically should be at a lower temperature than the broth) ensure a control of the temperature ideally allowing low temp braising?

The other  question is will the aroma evaporate with steam and will condensation bring it back into the broth?

Both are hypothetical questions and are more o driven by scientific curiosity as I am not sure it’ll make a difference.

If your goal is to “braise in its own juices” you may want to look into sous vide techniques. No evaporation due to a sealed containment at the temperature desired.

You can emulate this by using any sealed vessel in a adjusted oven. To minimise evaporation, “double” sealing techniques have been developed. Salt/water/flour dough is traditional, heavy duty tin foil is more contemporary. Special plastic pouches are available. The results will emulate the “confit” technique.

If you need higher temperatures, you are already aware of pressure cooking. Sealed environment & retention of moisture.

If your heart is set to stovetop cooking and none of the before mentioned options do apply, the closest you get to a sealed system will be cast iron with a tight fitting lid. And if you have followed the thread, several brands exist. 

Good luck !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2