• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chord

chord

14 hours ago, Samer said:

Which vessels allow the most condensation? Tagine vs Doufeu vs Staub? Which of the above allow significant condensation while simmering at the lowest  temperature? I am big believer of low temp cooking and was curious to get your input on which of the above will simmer at the lowest temperature while enabling the most condensation (or least steam leak). 

Assumptions

- All lids fit tightly

I don't think Le Creuset makes the Doufeu anymore but it was designed to promote condensation. It had spikes like Staub as well as a recessed lid that gets filled with ice (see pic). In theory the temp differential causes water to rise within the pot and then fall back onto the food. I've never owned one so I can't comment on how well it works.

image.jpeg.59e33cab6e3f87d8df89466076550dd5.jpeg

chord

chord

Which vessels allow the most condensation? Tagine vs Doufeu vs Staub? Which of the above allow significant condensation while simmering at the lowest  temperature? I am big believer of low temp cooking and was curious to get your input on which of the above will simmer at the lowest temperature while enabling the most condensation (or least steam leak). 

Assumptions

- All lids fit tightly

I don't think Le Creuset makes the Doufeu anymore but it was designed to promote condensation. It had spikes like Staub as well as a recessed lid that gets filled with ice (see pic). In theory the temp differential would cause water to rise within the pot and then fall back onto the food. I've never owned one so I can't comment on how well it works.

chord

chord

Assumptions

- All lids fit tightly

I don't think Le Creuset makes the Doufeu anymore but it was designed to promote condensation. It had spikes like Staub as well as a recessed lid that gets filled with ice (see pic). In theory the temp differential would cause water to rise within the pot and then fall back into the food. I've never owned one so I can't comment on how well it works.

chord

chord

Assumptions

- All lids fit tightly

I don't think Le Creuset makes the Doufeu anymore but it was designed to promote condensation. It had spikes like Staub as well as a recessed lid that gets filled with ice (see pic). In theory the temp differential would cause water to rise within the pot and then fall back into the food. I've never owned one so I can't comment on how well it worked.

chord

chord

13 hours ago, Samer said:

Assumptions

- All lids fit tightly

I don't think Le Creuset makes the Doufeu anymore but it was designed to promote condensation. It had spikes like Staub as well as a recessed lid that gets filled with ice (see pic) and in theory the temp differential would cause water to rise within the pot and then fall back into the food. I've never owned one so I can't comment on how well it worked.