Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food-related Holiday Gifts 2020: What Did You Receive?


Recommended Posts

@ElsieD 

 

I like those three items !

 

any idea where they came for ?

 

how rigid are the spatulas?   and is the tip sharp or dull

 

I like spatulas that have sharper edged 

 

and its very nice there are in Red

 

we all know , Red is Best.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD 

 

I like those three items !

 

any idea where they came for ?

 

how rigid are the spatulas?   and is the tip sharp or dull

 

I like spatulas that have sharper edged 

 

and its very nice there are in Red

 

we all know , Red is Best.

The spatulas are rigid, they bend maybe 1/8th of an inch, if that, when you press down on the tip.  The edge is sharp.  If scrapping out the last of one of @JoNorvelleWalker 's peanut butter jars, they should cleanly scrape the peanut butter off the sides and bottom.  I would not think the bend would get in the way but I haven't tried it yet.  I did try the tongs - they're wonderful.  And yes, red is great and so is neon green.  Makes it easy to find them in the "cooking utensils and other gadgets" drawer.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@ElsieD 

 

""  so is neon green "" 

 

Green is sort of a potential

 

disease 

 

it encourage you to thgink

 

GBP's are OK

 

they are not

 

but green onions , salad etc 

 

are OK

 

once you understand

 

you are unlikely to get

 

Red ' scallions '   but you can !

 

you have to grow them , and they taste the same

 

you can grow

 

' red' tiger's butter lettuce

 

but it taste the same.

 

cheers

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD 

 

""  so is neon green "" 

 

Green is sort of a potential

 

disease 

 

it encourage you to thgink

 

GBP's are OK

 

they are not

 

but green onions , salad etc 

 

are OK

 

once you understand

 

you are unlikely to get

 

Red ' scallions '   but you can !

 

you have to grow them , and they taste the same

 

you can grow

 

' red' tiger's butter lettuce

 

but it taste the same.

 

cheers

 

You will never, ever, see a GBP anywhere near my kitchen!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, heidih said:

I dett red in kitchen goods. Blue and green I am good. Tis a rainbow of likes and dislikes.

I prefer metal or wood...then red. Blue and green are immediately regifted

Link to post
Share on other sites

Truthfully the only color I have is a blue silicon type spatula. I am still the girl with the wooden spoons as a preference. I love how they change shape with use over time. I've gifted different styles to newer cooks over time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Belated plate of cookies from coworker. His wife includes some non-traditional like Mexican Hot Chocolate cookies (little chile burn) in the mix.

 

cookies.jpg

  • Like 8

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Link to post
Share on other sites

@blue_dolphin – those pecans are gorgeous.  Mr. Kim used to work with someone who sold fantastic pecans to raise funds for the Frog Level Volunteer Fire Department (not kidding – real name of a little township near us).  They aren’t doing it anymore, so, I’ve been getting by on Costco pecans for the last few years.

 

@Shelby – glad you got that new IP.  What can it do that the older ones can’t?  We got my MIL a “Duo” for her birthday and sometimes she asks questions I can’t answer since I don’t have one. 

 

@chromedome – gifts to people who really cook from people who really don’t are often sweet, but useless.  Luckily, I love Christmas-themed serving dishes and Mr. Kim has spread that around. 

 

It’s funny how different everyone’s tastes are.  I really don’t care for wooden spoons, or really anything totally rigid.  I don’t mind the kind that are flat on the end (good for scraping fond), but an oval wooden spoon I find almost totally useless to me.  They make one little eighth of an inch scrape in a pan and leave everything else behind to burn.  Give me a silicone or nylon spoon, spatula, etc. and I’m happy. 

 

After an agreement that Mr. Kim and I would save our Christmas pennies for a new kitchen floor when we feel safe having workers in our house and we’d only let Santa fill our stockings, I was, once again, flooded with kitchen/food gifts😄.  Some was from Jessica, but my normally sized stocking couldn’t possibly hold everything else:

IMG_4593.jpg.61b58c76c1dbb1e071c8d4b87b1cbcf2.jpg

The set of dessert plates (sitting up at the back) are lovely and my new little mini processor is pink, but what really thrilled me was the white enamel vented bread bowl.  I fell in love with the enamel pans when I kept seeing @CantCookStillTry using them.  I found them online and added them to my wishlist.  Apparently there is a 3 piece roasting pan on their way to me, too😁.  More:

IMG_4594.jpg.b6d71820a2dbf4721648b4392e05e884.jpg

We also agreed to not so much candy this year:

IMG_4614.jpg.81b01559467856805d1cd7d829d21262.jpg

😳😄Very welcome, however, are the Tiptree Little Scarlet strawberry preserves (I’ve been out for months) and the Matiz cockles (time for @weinoo's clam sauce). 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@blue_dolphin – those pecans are gorgeous.  Mr. Kim used to work with someone who sold fantastic pecans to raise funds for the Frog Level Volunteer Fire Department (not kidding – real name of a little township near us).  They aren’t doing it anymore, so, I’ve been getting by on Costco pecans for the last few years.

 

@Shelby – glad you got that new IP.  What can it do that the older ones can’t?  We got my MIL a “Duo” for her birthday and sometimes she asks questions I can’t answer since I don’t have one. 

 

@chromedome – gifts to people who really cook from people who really don’t are often sweet, but useless.  Luckily, I love Christmas-themed serving dishes and Mr. Kim has spread that around. 

 

It’s funny how different everyone’s tastes are.  I really don’t care for wooden spoons, or really anything totally rigid.  I don’t mind the kind that are flat on the end (good for scraping fond), but an oval wooden spoon I find almost totally useless to me.  They make one little eighth of an inch scrape in a pan and leave everything else behind to burn.  Give me a silicone or nylon spoon, spatula, etc. and I’m happy. 

 

After an agreement that Mr. Kim and I would save our Christmas pennies for a new kitchen floor when we feel safe having workers in our house and we’d only let Santa fill our stockings, I was, once again, flooded with kitchen/food gifts😄.  Some was from Jessica, but my normally sized stocking couldn’t possibly hold everything else:

IMG_4593.jpg.61b58c76c1dbb1e071c8d4b87b1cbcf2.jpg

The set of dessert plates (sitting up at the back) are lovely and my new little mini processor is pink, but what really thrilled me was the white enamel vented bread bowl.  I fell in love with the enamel pans when I kept seeing @CantCookStillTry using them.  I found them online and added them to my wishlist.  Apparently there is a 3 piece roasting pan on their way to me, too😁.  More:

IMG_4594.jpg.b6d71820a2dbf4721648b4392e05e884.jpg

We also agreed to not so much candy this year:

IMG_4614.jpg.81b01559467856805d1cd7d829d21262.jpg

😳😄Very welcome, however, are the Tiptree Little Scarlet strawberry preserves (I’ve been out for months) and the Matiz cockles (time for @weinoo's clam sauce). 

WOW!  I swear, you get the best stuff!  

 

I'm still very much learning the new IP.  I need to go back and read our IP thread here and see what people have to say about it.  The two new functions on mine are the Sous Vide and Baking ones.  I used the SV doing some chicken and it worked great (but I'm confused because it doesn't circulate at all so......I thought that was the whole point to have water circulation). 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I thought that was the whole point to have water circulation). 

One of the very first commercially available sous vide gadgets what is the Sous Vide  Supreme. No circulator. Here.  
 

There is water movement, as I understand it, from convection currents. One of our SSBs could probably explain it much better than I.

 

Edited by Anna N
Typos (log)
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Anna N said:

One of the very first commercially available sous vide gadgets what is the Sous Vide  Supreme. No circulator. Here.  
 

there is water movement, as I understand it from convection currents. One of our SSBs probably explain it much better than I.

 

Seriously good to know!  I worried the whole time I was using it.  It worked great but I was scared lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...