• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food-related Holiday Gifts 2020: What Did You Receive?

Kim Shook

Thursday we, mama and i received a Fall Flavors Mille Crepe cake from the New York cake boutique Lady M., sent by a sibling . wife and family. It arrived, packaged beautifully, frozen hard as a rock packed in several blocks of dry ice.

Thank heavens for a company who know how to package their product so that it arrives safely, because i must say the driver was certainly lacking in that area. Clearly the arrows,  2 per side, along with the ubiquitous, This Side Up were simply meant as a suggestion and not a directive. Yes, upside down arrows pointing at the floor. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

I received my first food gift in the mail from my brother and sister in law today.  Chocolate truffle Godiva coffee and a 2 pound Toblerone.  I don't drink caffeine and I dislike chocolate, but it is the thought that counts.  I am sure somebody in the house will consume them.  They live on the other side of the country and we are not close, so it is especially nice that they thought to send a gift.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

@blue_dolphin 

nothing like a fresh ( er ) pecan

My sister lived N of Austin , about an hour , in Georgetown TX

she knew a family that had been growing pecans here for ages.

she used to sent me 10 lbs ( cracked shell , then sent a cracker-er m untracked )   for years

their were 4 varieties.

as delidos as delicious an be , fresh fall crop.

in Georgetown the town  ,and many other towns in the area

central parts of tens wee lines w pecan trees,

you came w a brulap sack in the fall , and helped yourself to the

pecans dans shell on the ground.

then a very very large export market developed ,

probably to China , and the price doubled.

good for all those growers !

TJ's has some very decent ones , plain

far far better ghan any other local source.

enjoy

• Like 5

Just now, ElsieD said:

@Shelby  @rotuts will be along shortly to tell you that you had better get a backup.

Ronnie said "Ok, you have your two smaller ones and now this one....is this enough????"  🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

@Shelby 

Nice ! have this or a similar 8 Qt

[ resting comfortably in its box . for some time ]

massively reduced by JB on Prime Day

I will use it some day , after various Vacc's etc

pls make sure you eventually get the 8 Qt basket

that allows you to PressureSteam 

well worth it.

• Thanks 1

My only food-related gift this year was a cheapie Starfrit french-fry cutter from the parents-in-law. I will make a point of using it so I can tell them I have, but usually I just cut my fries by hand.

Truthfully, I dread getting kitchen gadgets for the holidays. There just aren't that many I actually covet, and on the whole I'd rather choose those for myself. In fairness to the in-laws, mind you, I have gotten a lot of use out of the dehydrator they got me a couple of years ago.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Food related, I got a pretty spoon rest for the cabinet by the stove, a dishtowel with a saying on it, and a box of Harry and David chocolate-covered cherries. And otherwise, lots of things I didn't need, but love.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Bamix Pro immersion blender. Leek and Potato soup in a few days! The prospect of getting rid of my lousy blender is pretty exciting.

National Brand Mango pickle from Pakistan. I have to hand it to my husband. He went above and beyond to search out the last one in Oakland. All the shop owners claim that Covid has messed with the company's shipping and it's very hard to come by. We are addicted to it served along a vegetable curry and I was beginning to think I had seen the last of it in my lifetime. 

No, I won't pretend we didn't get a corporate gift of See's candy. It's not very good, we make fun of it every year and trash-talk the milk chocolate ones, but they all get eaten, and now of course I wish we still had some. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

No, I won't pretend we didn't get a corporate gift of See's candy. It's not very good, we make fun of it every year and trash-talk the milk chocolate ones, but they all get eaten, and now of course I wish we still had some. 

Hey now - I sent Steven Shaw a box once - no complaints. I had a dream once about their white chocolate dipped toffee w/ toasted coconut on top. Yes I am slightly deranged. Ha just supporting a local biz.

• Like 3

Normally, years past, , I get one or two items food related, but this seemed to be quite a banner year for kitchen items. 

Mama and i got the aforementioned crepe cake, a neighbor delivered a homemade cheesecake, and another sibling sent a charcuterie board from a local establishment called Board &You.  

A box of Drakes Devil Dogs arrived as a delightfully fun surprise from @Kim Shook

From my SIL  a 20ct asst Jelly Belly tray, and gift box of Lindt truffles.

In my stocking a mini panettone, Sherry, EV olive oil, a handful of chocolate candy bars, and a bag of black &white popcorn.

A gift basket of several Racconto shaped pastas, and a second basket with several mustards, white wine vinegar, 3 Lee Kum Kee  sauces, and a  dozen spices/dried herbs,

Lastly (i think)was  a 750 ml bottle of Monin  organic vanilla  syrup and same size of Don Bruno Sherry vinegar( used some in a vinagrette last night to dress some roasted golden beets from my first Misfits box) 

And a Rada cooks knife.

Edited by caroled (log)
  • Like 5

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

My niece made me cookies.  My nephew gave me a pizza cutter.  I have been complaining about the one I have for a while because it is old and dull.  My husband put an avocado saver in my stocking.  He also bought me a baking sheet that he read about in an article Mark Bittman wrote with food related gift ideas.  We are going over to my parents' and brother's home later today for a quick (freezing) socially distanced gift exchange on their deck and I am sure my brother got me something food related.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb 

"' an anova SV machine ""

Circulator ?

""   Ina Garten ""

to each their own

Yes the circulator, sorry, I forgot the oven does sous vide-ish things.

Garten is perfect for what she wants to cook. There's a nice picture and a well-tested recipe. She needs a picture.

Ina's schtick is a little tiresome, but I'll take her over that prairie woman and Giada.

• Like 6

I did not get much in the way of kitchen-related gifts this year but am pleased with what I did get.  A set of tongs with metal "teeth" on one side and these two rigid scraping spoons.   They sit on the counter with their raised spoon parts so will cut down on the mess.   I thought of @JoNorvelleWalker when I saw these spoons and her 20 pounds of peanut butter.  She might find these handy.

Mods:  please remove this post.  Duplicate.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I did not get much in the way of kitchen-related gifts this year but am pleased with what I did get.  A set of tongs with metal "teeth" on one side and these two rigid scraping spoons.   They sit on the counter with their raised spoon parts so will cut down on the mess.   I thought of @JoNorvelleWalker when I saw these spoons and her 20 pounds of peanut butter.  She might find these handy.

20201227_172158.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Added picture (log)
  • Like 4