• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

brucesw

brucesw

No Del Taco or Wienerschnitzel here.  The former has tried twice, the most recent time in the last couple of years, and just hasn't been able to last.  Wienerschnitzel left 30 years ago or so but they are elsewhere in Texas and may be in some of the outlying suburbs.  I liked the hot dogs back when and usually stop for old times sake if II see one on the road.

I checked Taco Cabana out of San Antonio which labels itself fast-casual - no tamales.  Taco Palenque, a very good Mexican fast food chain out of South Texas (only one here) - no tamales.  Likewise a local taqueria 'chain' plus Taco Bueno (here and gone) and Taco John's (never here but I've heard good things)  Nada.

But El Pollo Loco (out of Sinaloa by way of Los Angeles) has tamale offerings on the Seasonal Favorites menu.

Our Food | L.A. Mex Menu | El Pollo Loco

I thought they had given up after a brief try at entering the market back in the 90s but there are a half dozen or so, including one within a reasonable distance from me.  I've never had any of their food but will try to make it over before the Season is up.

Incidentally the entrepreneur who started El Pollo Loco and still owns the Mexican company is the same man who started Taco Palenque.  This might be pretty decent.  They even have a crispy tamale bowl; the only place I've ever seen fried tamales is a Salvadoran tamaleria.  I'll report back if I'm successful.

brucesw

brucesw

No Del Taco or Weinerschnitzel here.  The former has tried twice, the most recent time in the last couple of years, and just hasn't been able to last.  Weinerschnitzel left 30 years ago or so but they are elsewhere in Texas and may be in some of the outlying suburbs.  I liked the hot dogs back when and usually stop for old times sake if II see one on the road.

I checked Taco Cabana out of San Antonio which labels itself fast-casual - no tamales.  Taco Palenque, a very good Mexican fast food chain out of South Texas (only one here) - no tamales.  Likewise a local taqueria 'chain' plus Taco Bueno (here and gone) and Taco John's (never here but I've heard good things)  Nada.

But El Pollo Loco (out of Sinaloa by way of Los Angeles) has tamale offerings on the Seasonal Favorites menu.

Our Food | L.A. Mex Menu | El Pollo Loco

I thought they had given up after a brief try at entering the market back in the 90s but there are a half dozen or so, including one within a reasonable distance from me.  I've never had any of their food but will try to make it over before the Season is up.

Incidentally the entrepreneur who started El Pollo Loco and still owns the Mexican company is the same man who started Taco Palenque.  This might be pretty decent.  They even have a crispy tamale bowl; the only place I've ever seen fried tamales is a Salvadoran tamaleria.  I'll report back if I'm successful.