• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The #SaveChineseRestaurants Campaign

Toliver

"The #SaveChineseRestaurants Campaign Is a Love Letter to Chinese Restaurants"

This year has been a rough one for all restaurants, but Chinese restaurants have had it worse than most: they were hit first, and were hit particularly hard.

“All restaurants across the country are suffering, but all restaurants haven’t had the added burden of being shunned for being Chinese,” says award-winning cookbook author and cooking teacher Grace Young. “Chinese restaurants are the only ones that have been singled out and blamed. They’ve been hurting since last January, when people were shunning Chinatown.”

...In partnership with the James Beard Foundation, Young launched the Save Chinese Restaurants campaign on Instagram, encouraging readers to order a meal from their local Chinese restaurant, and to post a photo with the hashtag #SaveChineseRestaurants, tagging the Beard Foundation.

I am all for this campaign. I have tried, since the Pandemic started, to have regular take out from local mom & pop Chinese restaurants. I also try to tip big, as well, since they're not doing the business they did when opened pre-Pandemic.

Anyone else ordering locally from their neighborhood Chinese restaurants?

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

18 hours ago, ElsieD said:

We haven't been ordering from  Chinese restaurants mainly because we don't know of any decent ones.  We do have a Korean restaurant that makes top-notch Korean food and we do order from him.

We also do not have a decent Chinese restaurant, but we do have locally-owned Thai and Indian places that we patronize. There are also some newer Vietnamese places that we want to try soon.

• Like 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

We have been loyal to a local Viet restaurant. We used to eat there a couple times a month, now we take out about the same. As soon as my husband walks through the door they know our order. That's comforting, and so is the food. Our only other take-out these days is lox and bagels, also from one purveyor. Strange times, these are.

• Like 1

Its all your faults!  I read this thread yesterday and ordered from a local Chinese place.  The last time I did this (from another local place) was during the 1st wave of COVID in April when I was jonesing for Chinese food.  That was terrible and this was not any better.  Could we please get thru this so that I can get back to a good place -- I'm out of delivery range for any of them and its frustrating.

And, please, no one start a similar thread on Indian food.

• Like 1

We get delivery from our local Sichuan place at least once a week.  We've also been trying to support our favorites, like a small Yunnan restaurant in the East Village every time we can.  I don't know if New York City Chinese restaurants were hit as hard as ones in other parts of the country, as compared with other types of restaurants in the same locales...  I don't think He Who Shall Not Be Named affected NYers affinity for Chinese food...

• Like 2

We got takeout a couple of weeks ago from a new Thai restaurant that opened mid-pandemic, it wasn’t very good (lack of flavor), which was disappointing because it is only 2-3 miles away. There is a Chinese restaurant that we have gotten take out from twice, it is solid. I am really jonesing for Japanese food, no close by options.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde