• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Has anyone tried the new Opal apples?

1275350440_OpalApplesfinal.thumb.jpg.255396ae4b9c8d6cea24f2ab34e1ed80.jpg

Their exterior skin is a very bright yellow, almost luminescent (like the jewel they are named after).

I despise Golden Delicious apples because they're usually soft and/or mealy.

These Opals are not. They are crisp and sweet and here's the very weird thing...they don't oxidize. That's where my photo doesn't do them justice. What looks like browning on the apple isn't. This apple has been cut and sitting out at room temperature for 15 minutes. Most apples would have turned brown in that time. Not the Opal.

Funny, but on Rachael Ray's syndicated show last week, she used some Opals in whatever dish she was cooking and said hers had been cut an hour before and they were still picture perfect sitting in her mise en place bowl.

Would love to hear if anyone else has tried them...

I didn't know that about the oxidation, but I have tried them and liked them very much.  I use apples in my fruit salad for Xmas dinner - I'll add "Opal" to the shopping listing for apples.  

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Has anyone tried the new Opal apples?

1275350440_OpalApplesfinal.thumb.jpg.255396ae4b9c8d6cea24f2ab34e1ed80.jpg

Their exterior skin is a very bright yellow, almost luminescent (like the jewel they are named after).

I despise Golden Delicious apples because they're usually soft and/or mealy.

These Opals are not. They are crisp and sweet and here's the very weird thing...they don't oxidize. That's where my photo doesn't do them justice. What looks like browning on the apple isn't. This apple has been cut and sitting out at room temperature for 15 minutes. Most apples would have turned brown in that time. Not the Opal.

Funny, but on Rachael Ray's syndicated show last week, she used some Opals in whatever dish she was cooking and said hers had been cut an hour before and they were still picture perfect sitting in her mise en place bowl.

Would love to hear if anyone else has tried them...

I didn't know that about the oxidation, but I have tried them and liked them very much.