• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Hassouni

Hassouni

Ok. Results are in. Based on lots of synthesis of various online roast duck recipes, I went for about 3.5 hours, roasting at 300, flipping 3 times and poking lots of holes to drain fat. Then I turned the heat up to 450 to get dat crispy skin. I served it with the sauce from Serious Eats’s duck à l’orange recipe, which was a huge hit 

The ducks were very well done but not dry at all. The skin was superbly thin and crispy. Everyone was full of compliments. Next time I may do the first stage at 250 though, but honestly even at 3+ hours at 300 there was still a lot of fat to render in order to get crispy skin. 

In all, It was enough for 4 adults, 1 hungry 9 year old, and two not super hungry younger kids, with a little bit leftover. 

As a bonus, just from the roast, I got about 1.25 quarts of amazing duck fat, as well as lots of fat to roast potatoes in. I tried rendering the trimmed skin and excess fat and got about a pint, but I burnt it and threw it out. Shame.

1B1A6AAD-3312-43A3-8EB0-F630D849CAFC.jpeg

(Sabred Veuve is just how we roll on Christmas)

6B5E9D01-60F7-43F3-AF99-E7A6123323C4.jpeg

Hassouni

Hassouni

Ok. Results are in. Based on lots of synthesis of various online roast duck recipes, I went for about 3.5 hours, roasting at 300, flipping 3 times and poking lots of holes to drain fat. Then I turned the heat up to 450 to get dat crisp. I served it with the sauce from Serious Eats’s duck à l’orange recipe, which was a huge hit 

The ducks were very well done but not dry at all. The skin was superbly thin and crispy. Everyone was full of compliments. Next time I may do the first stage at 250 though, but honestly even at 3+ hours at 300 there was still a lot of fat to render in order to get crispy skin. 

as a bonus, just from the roast, I got about 1.25 quarts of amazing duck fat, as well as lots of fat to roast potatoes in. I tried rendering the trimmed skin and excess fat and got about a pint, but I burnt it and threw it out. Shame.

in all, It was enough for 4 adults, 1 hungry 9 year old, and two not super hungry younger kids, with a little bit leftover. 

Hassouni

Hassouni

Ok. Results are in. Based on lots of synthesis of various online roast duck recipes, I went for about 3.5 hours, roasting at 300, flipping 3 times and poking lots of holes to drain fat. Then I turned the heat up to 450 to get dat crisp. I served it with the sauce from Serious Eats’s duck à l’orange recipe, which was a huge hit 

The ducks were very well done but not dry at all. The skin was superbly think and crispy. Everyone was full of compliments. Next time I may do the first stage at 250 though, but honestly even at 3+ hours at 300 there was still a lot of fat to render in order to get crispy skin. 

as a bonus, just from the roast, I got about 1.25 quarts of amazing duck fat, as well as lots of fat to roast potatoes in. I tried rendering the trimmed skin and excess fat and got about a pint, but I burnt it and threw it out. Shame.

in all, It was enough for 4 adults, 1 hungry 9 year old, and two not super hungry younger kids, with a little bit leftover.