• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourcing Seafood and Meat Online

Owtahear

For seafood, especially since limited in restaurant eating out, and being inland, I have used the following sources over the past year.

Browne Trading Co in Portland, ME for all kinds of fish, uni, caviar if you are splurging, scallops (Hey, if it is good enough for Eric Ripert, it is good enough for me)

Harbor Fish Market in Portland, ME for mostly lobster and oyster

(I know these two because of numerous visits to Portland accompanied by a large cooler

Honolulu Fish Company (just awesome source for sushi quality Tuna and Salmon

Vital Choice for Alaskan fish such as King Salmon and halibut

Meat

Pat Lafrieda's for some awesome dry aged prime ribeyes

Porter and York for various, pork, beef and lamb cuts

Pure Bred Lamb for obviously lamb (hey if it is good enough for Thomas Keller, it is good enough for me) and also live close enough here that I actually can pick it up.

I am planning to try a few others, the shame is, because of the Pandemic, I am not having my traditional Standing Rib Roast this year (not taking the chance after I hosted Thanksgiving where my niece contacted Covid the very next week (all of us quarantined now well past the 14 days with no issues) but that was too close a call to take another chance, so likely I will get a thick ribeye or small roast. 

But do you guys order provisions online and if so where and how do you like??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

Sea Food:

Use Farm-2-Market

Catalina Seafood Co.

Meat:

I use Flannery Beef

Cheers

Thanks.  I definitely plan to try Flannery and I have looked at some of the seafood online at Catalina but have yet to purchase any.

• Like 1

I would not trust Seafood via Online. Ive seen Online Brisket arrive thawed via all carriers. My rule of thumb is if i dont see some ice crystals on the product, im not risking my health. Mostly you can trust the butcher, but you can't trust the carrier. Seafood is like playing russian roulette when it comes to buying Online.

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, eugenep said:

I'm too afraid to buy seafood online unless it's canned - like canned octopus, sardines etc. 

I've been buying the canned stuff from Despana NYC. It's like fancy canned though. I recommend it. 

You're in NJ, right?  You should be able to get seafood on a same-day truck delivery from Samuels & Sons.  Go to their website, sign up for their daily email.  If you think you'll use it a lot, join the 7Fish club for discounts and no shipping charge. 

• Like 2

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

1 hour ago, cdh said:

You're in NJ, right?  You should be able to get seafood on a same-day truck delivery from Samuels & Sons.  Go to their website, sign up for their daily email.  If you think you'll use it a lot, join the 7Fish club for discounts and no shipping charge. 

wow. thanks for the info. I really like seafood and trying to cook from Eric Ripert's book. I think I'm going to check that out today. 

I have some trouble sourcing fresh quality fish consistently in NJ. Sometimes good but sometimes fish smell owing because it's not fresh but I can't always tell. 

I saw some online but it was crazy overpriced - like $50 for salmon fillet or something at Fulton Fish online. 

D'Artagnan for poultry

Snake River Farms, Pat LaFrieda and Heritage Foods for beef and pork

La Tienda for tinned fish and cured meats

I am in a fish share so do not order much fresh fish online, but we have had success with Eataly's home delivery service when we want fish on a non-share day.  I get my share on Tuesdays and Eataly delivers on Fridays so it works out.  

I'm pretty sure all this has been discussed previously, but...

I have no fear of buying seafood online, from good purveyors.

Browne - of course. 

I get beautiful product from Great-Alaska-Seafood - arrives overnight, rock solid (it's mostly super frozen at the source, so). The various wild salmons, scallops, shrimp, halibut, tuna are all great. It's how I make this...

112777268_Chirashi11-05.jpeg.2bd0f656db2ae78ca528a1f27b2721e0.jpeg

Flannery, DeBragga, D'artagnan, Fossil Farms for esoteric, Snake River - all doing good work.

When I can be assured I'll have the space, Joyce Farms will be my go to for their chickens, the best chicken I've tasted in the US. The Green Circle D'artagnan sells comes close ( I do like their poussin). And D'artagnan's Rohan duck is not to be missed.

Despaña is near and dear to my heart (and my legs), but I'll also use Donostia Foods for Spanish-y. And of course Gustiamo for everything Italian.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yes, that's exactly it.    I am not ordering seafood from Bill and Ted's Excellent Seafood.  Browne, Honolulu, Harbor, are all used by top chefs and seafood purveyors across the country.  Besides most of the fish I am ordering is fresh.  And then I cut, vacuum seal and freeze.   I trust the oysters or scallops I am getting from the aforementioned places much more than I would a local fish market because I am 500 miles inland, and that seafood market, even if it is excellent in reputation is merely a "middle man" and I am ordering from the same places they are.  

Yeah, D'Artagnan is the go to place for duck, but I usually can get that at an upper end market near me.   But definitely want to try their Green Circle chicken.

I have ordered canned seafood from La Tienda and other Spanish goodies and as a matter of fact just ordered a tapas gift basket for my Brother and Sister in Law.

Thanks for the info.

On 12/15/2020 at 12:48 PM, Owtahear said:

Pure Bred Lamb for obviously lamb

I am suspect about some of this stuff - web site doesn't tell me enough, and where are the other cuts of the lamb?

D'artagnan used to carry Salt Marsh Lamb, and it was a favorite, but they don't appear to have it now - maybe only in the spring.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I am suspect about some of this stuff - web site doesn't tell me enough, and where are the other cuts of the lamb?

D'artagnan used to carry Salt Marsh Lamb, and it was a favorite, but they don't appear to have it now - maybe only in the spring.

That's a great question.   But if you are also familiar with Elysian Farms Lamb, that IS Pure Bred.  I live in Pittsburgh, they are just 40 miles south of the city so I actually visited.  That is the legit lamb supplier for places like the French Laundary,  etc....     But yes, you are right, I often wondered about the oft cuts such as ribs, shanks, kidneys, etc...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Owtahear said:

But if you are also familiar with Elysian Farms Lamb, that IS Pure Bred

Well then, yes - I very much like Elysian Farms and the whole philosophy of it.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Well, we were going to skip family dinner because of COVID, but it is immediate family and everyone is local and it is not big (7 people) so I just ordered a Prime, 30 Day Aged Prime Rib Roast from Pat LaFrieda.   It was down to them and Flannery, but I went with LaFrieda.    I am so excited.  

• Like 1